+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Southern Oregon in Late May

Hybrid View

Smile Southern Oregon in Late May

My wife and I will be traveling to Southern Oregon in late May to check out some wineries. We would like to fish for 2 days as well. Are there any trout waters in that area worth fishing at that time? By then I hope to have my 5 weight bamboo that is being built by Don Schroeder. It would be a nice way to christen it.

Default Southern Oregon

I'm not sure what you call Southern Oregon but if you are really in southern Oregon in late May, you will want to look at the Rogue River. Near Shady Cove, there is a stretch of water called the Holy Waters that is fly fishing only. In late may there is a salmon fly hatch that can really be fun. The fly shop in Shady Cove is called the Fishin Hole and there are also fly shops in Grants Pass, Medford and Ashland.

3. Default

If you're going to be in the Ashland/Medford area... try the shop in Ashland. I'd also suggest this link.... http://www.westfly.com & hook on to the Oregon forum board.
    good luck...
    Later.
    an Oregonian

From the looks of your post one would suspect you are planning on being somewhere along the I-5 corridor of Oregon. Assuming that is the case you should know that the general trout season along this corridor opens on the 24th of May. This mainly pertains to smaller steams though it also applies to some lakes and larger rivers. What one needs to know to respond to your question is what are the days in May that you want to fish and about where in Oregon you plan on giving it a try. Even if you are coming before the opening there are a lot of places that either open earlier or are open year around.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by PaulY View Post
    My wife and I will be traveling to Southern Oregon in late May to check out some wineries. We would like to fish for 2 days as well. Are there any trout waters in that area worth fishing at that time? By then I hope to have my 5 weight bamboo that is being built by Don Schroeder. It would be a nice way to christen it.
    If you are only interested in trout then maybe you should look to the Klamath River, or Klamath Lake. Otherwise, you might look into fishing the Rogue for some "half pounders" steelhead, which are usually pretty prevalent. I'm pretty new to Oregon and have been concentrating on the North and South Umpqua which is concidered southern Oregon but a bit farther north and not generally known for trout.
    Good luck.
    Gary

+ Reply to Thread