+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bass Bug Legs

Hybrid View

Default Bass Bug Legs

When tying deer hair bass bugs, I've been tying in the legs with some figure 8 wraps, and then continuing to spin deer hair.

One alternative is to use a Dave Whitlock type tool to pull the legs through after all the Deer hair has been spun. This sounds ok to me except that I wonder whether you need to use some kind of adhesive to hold the legs in place -- something more then just the tension of the packed hair.

I know bugs are probably just as effective without rubber legs, but I'd like to tie them with legs anyway.

So -- will the tension of the packed hair be enough to hold the rubber legs in place or do you need to do something else?

Thanks!

The compressed deer hair holds legs nicely. No need to do anythinig else.

BFB,

I gave up on 'tying' in the rubber legs long ago. They were in the way during trimming, and I'd end up cutting at least one.

I threaded mine through using a needle with a mono loop to pull the leg material with (not familiar with any 'tool' made specifically to do this, the needle worked fine).

I always glued mine in place. A drop of CA on the leg material, then pull it into place.

Now I just leave off the legs altogether. Fish don't seem to care and I like how the bugs look and fish without them.

Buddy Sanders

i built a leg tool from a needle with a #4 loop of thread, glued the knot to the inside of the needles eye so it makes the thing all smoothe.....when i tie a hair bug, i just put a length of rubber leg in the thread loop of my tool & pull it through the spun hair close to the shank as i can get......the thread wraps on each hair spin allways seemed to have enough tention to hold my legs in place without using any glue or cement.....although i do use cement on the wraps when i spin hair bugs for pike fishing (usually mink, rabit or some other hair other that has very little boyancy....

Default The Dave Whitlock Tool

That is what I was calling the "Dave Whitlock Tool". It's what I thought it was called. The Dave Whitlock formula might call for 5x tippet.

Thanks.

The tension of the deer hair will hold it place nicely if your deer hair bug is packed tightly enough. I simply thread the rubber leg into a large eyed darning needle and pull it through. You can put a little cement on if you like. I use the water based cements for this as sometimes the solvent base cements will dissolve the legs especially the silicone ones.

+ Reply to Thread