+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WF line

Default WF line

I ordered the boy a reel last week. I also got line. I've always got DT. The guy told me that he could get me the SA Weight Forword line at a good price. I've never used it befor. So, I will now have a spool of DT and a spool of WF for my 6wt. What situation do I use which line?

[This message has been edited by mwebb (edited 25 July 2005).]

I think the rule of thumb has been that if you are casting at 30' or less and require a delicate presentation, then a DT line would work well. More than 30' and where delicay is not an issue, then WF. Also if you are casting larger flys and or streamers, then you might also want to consider the WF line.

Not to complicate matters, but there are those that feel a DT line will mend better than a WF line.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

A double taper line is much better for roll casting as well. Many people swear by a floating double taper for nymph fishing also.

On the other hand, I use a WF for everything.

------------------
    In life, as in fly fishing, don't get in over your waders.

Pro's and con's
    #1 first 30 feet of a WF and DT. are the same.
    #2 less bulk on a WF will fit on smaller reel with ample backing.
    #3 after 30' smaller diamiter running line will slide in the guides easier for long casts.
    #4 since the taper of a WF and a DT are the same on the first 30' they will turn over a fly the same.
    #1 after 30' the DT is much more mendable
    #2 DT (after 30') is much more roll castable
    #3 the larger Diamiter (after 30') will float better ib ruff water.
    #4 If you revirse the line with some regularity it will last you longer than a WF.( 2 idenical ends)
    #5 larger belly will fill a larger spool with less backing
    Witch one fits you best?

Rich

A DT and a Wf are not the same for the first 30'...not even close!!!!! They only thing they have in common is that they WEIGH the same at 30'. Tapers vary from brand to brand, not all WF lines have the same taper. For a beginner a WF line is much easier to learn to cast with and will shoot a lot better too. A WF line will load the rod with less effort due to more weight near the tip of the line. A DT will roll cast better and will also last twice as long because the line can be reversed offering the same taper on both ends, a WF line only works one way. If you fish large or bushy flies a WF will deliver the fly better.

[This message has been edited by Ray (edited 25 July 2005).]
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

+ Reply to Thread