+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something For All Members To Get Involved With!

Hybrid View

Default Something For All Members To Get Involved With!

How about we start sending this hat around the country and posting pictures of FAOL'ers wearing it? We could autograph it and then mail it to the next person for their 15 minutes of fame. I'm game for this if anyone else is. We could start a thread in Sound Off and see how many miles this hat can put on in the next year. We could arrange to have it show up at all the Fish-Ins to get maximum mileage out of it, then donate it to the FAOL Museum in Poulsbo, Washington. I'll bet we could get it to all 50 states in the next 12 months with no problem.

What say y'all?

Joe

Happy Holidays,Every One!

The above, (DOH!), is Joe V.'s excellent idea, stemming from a recent post on the "Things for Sale" link, by Gardenfish. (read about how this all got started....... there, under the "Berkely Bag For Sale", thread!).

Anyway, I'm moving Joe's idea, HERE, since not everyone reads the Things For Sale link of course, and I'd like to see Joe's idea take off and work the way he describes it!! I currently, own the hat, because being so dog-gone CLASSY, as I am, I was sucker......... I was the one that purchased it from Gardenfish to begin with and currently have it in my possession.

So, on the 24th or 26th, depending........... I'll be signing it and then posting a pic, (be forewarned!), then mailing it to Joe V. for him to repeat the process. After that, I think it's headed over to The Terror Tubber's, (Mike-Ohiotuber) for HIS priceless autograph, then possibly a short homecoming visit to Gardenfisher's, after that!?!

But from Gardenfisher's I think it's then open to the first member that contacts HIM, to have it sent along for them to sign, take a picture and post it!??!

This could be a really fun and very interesting project, for all members of FAOL to get involved in!! BUT............... PLEASE, if you DO request the hat, KEEP IT MOVING, QUICKLY, ONTO THE NEXT MEMBER THAT'S REQUESTED IT FROM YOU!! That's the ONLY WAY, this whole idea will "work as planned"!!

I, think, as Joe does that by the 15th, or 20th, member this hat's going to "look a little strange", with all the autographs on it, not to mention "who KNOWS where it'll be"??
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Paul,

At the end of its journey, we might ultimately turn this into a silent auction for this "Gold Mine" of FAOL signatures, with the proceeds going towards the operational costs of FAOL, or another charity (not that FAOL is a charity, but you know what I mean). Something to think about while the cap travels.

Also, while the cap travels, you could throw a special treasure in the box for the next recipient. That could be fun and interesting.

Here is the "circuit" as I have deciphered it. Forgive me if I misspell your screen name. I will add names and locations as they come in.

flybinder - Oregon - SHIPPED
    Joe Valencic - Ohio - RECEIVED ~ Taking it to the Northern Ohio Fly Tying Expo on January 5, 2008 to be signed by:
    * ohiotuber - Ohio -SIGNED
    * Fly Tyer CC - Ohio -SIGNED
    * fishbum - Indiana - SIGNED
    * flyfishmichigan - Michigan - SIGNED
    * Jerry Polen - Ohio - SIGNED
    * usedflies - Ohio - SIGNED
    * MAC inNEOhio - SIGNED
    * Al Thomas - SIGNED
    * Jim Mertz - SIGNED
    Kaboom1 - SIGNED
    Fat Bill - SIGNED

cholcomb13 - SIGNED & SHIPPED
    DDRRedneck500 - SIGNED & SHIPPED
    Sagittarius - SIGNED & SHIPPED
    bdesavage - ADDED SUN SHADE - SIGNED & SHIPPED TO HRH BETTY
    Betty Hiner - Kansas - SIGNED & SHIPPED TO RICK Z
    Rick Z - Iowa - SIGNED & SHIPPED TO BIOT MIDGE
    Biot Midge - SIGNED & SHIPPED TO OL' BLUE
    Ol' Blue - Kansas - SIGNED & SHIPPED TO GIGMASTER
    Gigmaster - Georgia - SIGNED & SHIPPED TO JACK
    Jack Hise - Tennessee - SIGNED & SHIPPED TO BYRON
    Byron Zuehlsdorff - Wyoming - SHIPPED TO MODOCDAN 4-28

modocdan - Oregon - SIGNED & SHIPPED TO TYRONEFLY
    TyroneFly - RECEIVED & SIGNED. WAITING FOR MNBRANDY'S ADDRESS
    mnbandy - Minnesota - BYPASSED ~ NO RESPONSE ~ AWAITING ZIMRX17
    Ohiofly - Ohio - Signed & Shipped
    zimrx17 - Missouri - Signed & Shipped to MIFI
    popperfly - Tennessee - Signed
    J Castwell & Ladyfisher - Washington - Signed at MIFI 08
    mnklagoon - Mississippi
    hugefish 80 _ Nebraska

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Valencic; 07-13-2008 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Moving on...
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Joe, you sure, you shouldn't run for PRESIDENT?? ANOTHER, great EYE-DEER!!
    Okay, fellow members!!.................. Along with the hat, when I send it to Joe, I'll include a random fly pattern. Joe, will add one to that. Terror Tubber, will hopefully make it three and Gardenfisher will make it four flies, when he sends it to the next requesting member!?!!
    So, following Joe's idea, if each person keeps the hat going as planned, by the time we end this "adventure"............... we should have not ONLY the very valuable HAT, but also SOMEONE winning the auction, SHOULD receive about 3 or 4 DOZEN flies, to add to their collection!
    In fact, to make this thing get off to a good start,(and, also, because lately MY OWN TYING looks like a 3 year old tied them)............ I'm kicking in a "Hoffman Chickabou Stonefly Nymph", tied BY, Henry Hoffman, on one of his signed business cards. The same fly, (but, an obviously, better tie of it), pictured recently in the fly tying threads, I'd posted on Stone Flies.

(Seriously, since all the shipping and mixing with other flies, may damage the fly and card, since others will simply be stuck into the hat, probably, maybe Joe V, can hold onto this one, fly, until such time we auction off the hat!?)

There will also be a simple "list" included with the hat, that lists "who sent, what fly" so,please be sure this stays WITH the hat when you send it along to the next person!!

And, above all, this is for FUN ONLY and a possible good funds raiser, so don't sweat it, if you don't tie flies, it doesn't matter what so ever!! Just sign the hat, post your pic and send the hat to the next person!! (if you feel REALLY guilty, about not tying and not throwing in a fly, then to ease your tortured feelings merely send ME a new fly rod or even just a new reel and I'm sure, you'll feel much better for doing so!?!).

I really don't think, that "shipping costs" are going to be an issue as this thing grows even with a bunch of flies added to it, eventually. If it DOES, please just contact me and I'll back whatever postage it takes to keep the hat moving smoothly, around the country. After I mail it to Joe V. on Monday or Wednesday, I'll post a note, here, letting everyone know what it actually cost to send it to him!!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries

Talking

I think that's a wonderful idea and would add that it be sent to someone who is going to be attending the next fish-in. That way everyone there could get a shot at it. Then it would go via individuals again till the next fish in. etc . Probably would get maximum exposure that way. If you can Make the deadline the next mini fish in is at rocky Ford Creek In Ephrata Washington. You probably could get 10 guys to wear the hat at that one. Just a brilliant Idea I had.

He said modestly.... tink tink

Fishing hats, if left unwashed, collect good fishing karma. Try to imagine the incredible karma this hat will gather after 100 faol heads have worn it.
    Not to mention giving a kabillion cooties a free trip around the Continent.

As for shipping couldn't Superman just fly it around free? Whats the good of having faol slaves if you don't use them. ( just another brilliant idea I had. )

Sometimes I just sit and admire how brilliant I have become.
    Last edited by Gnu Bee Flyer; 12-23-2007 at 05:29 PM.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Default Hat

I have PM'ed Gardenfish so the hat makes another visit to Ohio. I guess the drill is for the next person to PM me so I know where to sent the treasure?

Brad

Default hat!

kaboom gets it after me.

We have created a monster here...

If no one has claimed the next spot I sent a pm to Brad. Jean and I will do this.
    MERRY CHRISTMAS Y'ALL

What is the FAOL Museum?

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    What is the FAOL Museum?
    I hope you genuflect or bow at the waist while pointed to the Northwest when saying "FAOL Museum." It is the Holy of Holies and central repository in Washington State for all things FAOL, which are watched over and protected by our armed guards and curators, JC & LF. It is also sometimes referred (irreverently I might add), as the "crapolla in the back room."

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

A journey of a thousand miles began with two wild and crazy guys!

Joe and Paul: So, now you know. They are.. two wild and crazy guys!
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread