Darrell from up here in Manitoba - I live just outside Winnipeg and have become a fly fishing ...... nut/freek/addict - but no purist - I believe everyone has the right to make their own decision - however wrong it may be This site was one of 2 instrumental sites in getting me fully going. The other is a local fly fishing board out of Winnipeg.

The short of it: After having the equipment 14+ years (using it off and on), finally finding place(s) to answer a few questions, I self taught myself with the info. I also got my son going when he was 7 (ok - he asked to try it). Now - 3 yrs later, I'm fully at it - flyin, tyin, learning still and havin a blast (picking up more equipment). Still have my oldest son with me tying and ffing - he kicked my can last November. Daughter (then 12) also came out with me once last year - brought in 9 beautiful 'bows.

Never thought I'd make it as far as I did. Scripting articles on home waters, offering advice to newcomers ... I think I missed my calling ....... oh well, as long as I can keep enjoying this ... madness and have fun at the same time. I keep things on the lighter side - lifes too serious everywhere else. If I'm upset .. you'll know it. But, we're here .. it'll be FFing.

Our oldest son (2 other boys yet behind him) will be with me in the creeks of the Black Hills next week. Our daughter - not sure ... 'maybe' is all I got - and that's good enough for now.

Anyhow - Hats off to FAOL - it is truly a great informational/instructional site for beginners (and all) to come to.

darrell,
(yes - at times I tend to babble ..... sorry)

------------------
a wise man will hear and increase in learning;
and a man of understanding will acquire wise council