+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Needs Help

Hybrid View

1. Thumbs down Newbie Needs Help

I need the best suggestions for a multi-piece rod outfit for travel purposes under 350.00 in a five or six weight rod to use for trout fishing in the mountains of Western North Carolina. I want the best "bang for my buck." I am interested in the TFO Finesse 5 wgt 8'9". Does anybody have any experience with this rod. I would appreciate frankness by my FAOL friends on a good outfit in 5 or 6 wgt for these purposes. Please advise.

Thumbs up TFO for sure

WCUboy,
    I have the TFO Professional in a 9' 4 weight. For me it's an awesome rod. Casts beautifully for me and packs down to 4 pieces. I think they call them a mod/fast action and for me that's about right. If your going to be fishing open water I'd give serious consideration to the 9 footer. If your going to be fishing heavy cover, they also come in a 7 1/2' 5 weight. They aren't the prettiest of rods, but man they sure work well.
    Good Luck,

3. Default

Multi piece rods are readily available. seems like the two piece rods are more difficult to locate... an exaggeration to some extent.'
    In that price range you can get picky & if you are inclined to buy a fine quality used rod...
    for instance> a sweet Scott G series in 5 piece configuration (4 or 5 weights) can usually be found in that price range... or some nice 3 piece Winstons for less...
    If its a new rod... you will find MANY choices (& some decent close outs... it's the end of the year, you know).
    In the end, you probably should find some shop or some fanatic rod collector to allow to test cast some different styles, actions, weights, lengths...
    find your "true calling" for a rod.
    Later,
    Oregonian

At exactly $350, I would consider the Sage Launch 9ft 5wt 4pc outfit. Includes rod, case ,Sage large arbor reel, Sage line (Permormance Taper I think, made by Rio). In my opinion, the Sage launch rods are an excellent value and this is a pretty good package too.

Another excellent option is the Redington Red Fly 2 outfits for $300. Rod, case, Red Fly 2 reel, and Rio Maintream line.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 12-22-2007 at 07:42 PM.

Not to confuse the issue, but if you are looking for "bang for the buck" take a look at www.sierratradingpost.com before you actually spend anything. Go to outdoor gear and outerwear, go to fishing and go to fly rods. STP is a great source for anything outdoors at good prices, and their customer service has, to my experience, always been very satisfactory. You may get into a warranty issue if you buy a rod from them - but if you are careful with and easy on your equipment, that is a secondary consideration.
    The fish are always right.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    Not to confuse the issue, but if you are looking for "bang for the buck" take a look at www.sierratradingpost.com before you actually spend anything. Go to outdoor gear and outerwear, go to fishing and go to fly rods. STP is a great source for anything outdoors at good prices, and their customer service has, to my experience, always been very satisfactory. You may get into a warranty issue if you buy a rod from them - but if you are careful with and easy on your equipment, that is a secondary consideration.
    I agree, wholeheartedly, with John's suggestion on checking Sierra T.P.
    I haven't, checked them for a wile now, but 2 weeks ago I bought a Powell 9' 6wt. 4pc. w/sock and tube for $89.95 delivered to my door.
    They change things quite often and you just need to be patient, (and if you still have the time to do so!?) and keep looking at their site.
    I did contact them on my Powell, (just in case), about "warranty" and they claim that; "Either, we, or Powell will warranty the rod. If Powell will not, WE will", (end quote).
    I try & take pretty careful care with my gear and have never, (in 30+ years), had to use a fly rod warranty. Yes, I've broken several rods, but that was MY stupidity and NOT that of the rod companies.
    And, truthfully, for the price I paid for the Powell.... I doubt I'd pursue the warranty issue, very far, anyway.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Before my earlier post, I checked to see if STP had anything that would fall within wcu boy's price limit and description of the kind of rod he was looking for. They have quite a selection of high quality rods within his price range that meet his criteria. As pointed out by Oregonian, the rods they have might not quite suit wcu boy's casting style, but if you get past that, you might do really well. If you see a rod on the STP site that you like, go to the the builder's site and see what they have to say about that particular model, and whether they have some comment regarding warranty for rod's sold through a discount outfit like STP.

As far as Powell goes, last summer they did honor the warranty on a rod I bought through STP several years ago. BUT, they are basically out of the fly rod business now and have only a basic rod to give you on a replacement issue, no matter what you had, and their warranty cost is $65, period. I will add that the three Powell rods I have had were all really good rods.

Good luck, wcu boy.
    The fish are always right.

JohnScott;
    Thanks, for the info on the Powell rods!!
    Like I mentioned, however, on a "rod deal", like the one I snagged......... I really wouldn't pursue the warranty issue with it, to begin with. NOT, for the price I paid for it, anyway.
    I've already; "Brought a 16 pound Steelie to net", with this new Powell and it didn't fall apart in the process so as far as I'M concerned, "It's now passed its warranty period and test"!
    I also have a ten year old Powell 9' 5wt. 2-piecer, that is one of my favorite rods, for warm water. It's a shame that Powell's getting out of the rod business, they've always made fine sticks.
    wcu boy, I hope you find what you're looking for and that you DO, hit the STP site and check out their rods. Their service, as has been pointed out, is really decent and their "turnaround time" from ordering to shipping/you receiving, is very quick. (Although, THIS time of year it may be a day or two longer than usual, but that's understandable!)
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

i second the sage launch great rod for the money!!!!

Of prime concern should be what size flies that you'll ( generally ) be fishing
    and what size water / streamside cover that you frequently fish.
    You did not mention that so it's difficult to advise.

I see that you're leaning to a 5 wt 8'9" TFO Finesse.
    It's probably a good all-around choice.
    Not having fished western NC, I have it in my mind that the streams are generally small and
    mountainous. If that is so, perhaps a shorter 4 wt may be an appropriate choice as well.

I have one TFO rod, a 3wt 7'6" Pro that I bought for small stream use. I like it but
    I ( probably ) would have chosen the softer Finesse - but they came out with it shortly after I bought the Pro.

For 5 wts, I have 3 rods...
    A 1966 Garcia-Conolon 8' fiberglass
    A Sage XP 9' 4 piece
    and
    A second generation Orvis 7'9" 5wt Far and Fine. ( I REALLY like this one )

Each rod has it's place where it shines.

I can say that a good friend ( who's also on this board ) has a TFO 9' TiCr 5wt
    that I think is about "as good " as my XP - ESPECIALLY for the price ( at the time of purchase, it was about a $350 difference ).

A lot depends on your budget. I do like TFO rods and would recommend their lineup.

+ Reply to Thread