+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Float Tube Advice:

Default Float Tube Advice:

In by email:

Dear FAOL:
    I am a regular visitor to the web site and
    thought you might be able to give me some advice.

I am thinking about buying a float tube.
    But I have some considerations to make.
    I am 64 years old, I weigh 265 lbs., and would fit into the physically challanged class of fisherman. I can hike around but am
    a total klutz when it comes to agility.
    Tri-focal glasses and two left feet. I am tired of not being able to cast beyound the
    edge of the weed bed while the float tubers are hauling in fish right under my nose.

Any advice as to what to consider in buying
    a tube would be most appreciated. I would
    rather not drown while trying to get in and
    out of the tube.

Thank you,
    Ed Piggott (Arizona)

Blog Entries

Ed, at 265 you are going to need a larger than average tube. And if agility is a concern, I would recommned getting anything but a round tube. The U-boats are easier to get in and out of than the round ones. There are tubes that are sort of hybrids between pontoon boats and tubes, and I see them on the water and hear good reports from owners.

Talk to the guys on the other side of the weeds, and ask if you can take a look at their tubes. I bet you will find one that will work well for you.

Serious tubing does require some physical stamina. The muscles you use to paddle a tube are NOT the same ones you use to walk. If you swim regularly, you will have an easier time adjusting. Never tube until you are too tired to make it to shore. And I personally never tube farther from shore than I can swim, just in case.

Personally, one important factor for me with a tube is the location, arrangement, and closing of the pockets. Make sure you can get to what you need easily, and that straps and buckles and zipper pulls are not in your way while you are fishing.

And wear a PFD.

I think you will enjoy tubing once you get started. Welcome to the world of jet ski targets.

Dennis

Ed
    I stole my Float Tube from ohiotuber because his knees couldn't take it.
    I'm 65 and had some concerns. I take Glucosamine Chondroiten daily for the joints and my first tubing adventure lasted 4 hours with no ill effects. (except sun burn!)
    I chose a friends 2 1/2 acre pond on a very light wind day and caught a zillion Blue Gills.
    I forgot that the tube will lose some inflation pressure when put in cool water and didn't have my waders hitched up high enough. Also I didn't have the seat adjusted properly so I took on a lot of water!! I know that with the waders, flippers and a couple of gallons of water I was over 200 lbs.
    It was a Hoot!!
    Some of the advice I recieved when I asked the same question.
    Don't put your flippers on untill in the Tube, to easy to fall.
    Tether the flippers to the waders. A couple of dog leash collars (?) from the $ store.
    Launch into the wind, easier to get back!
    I get in in shallow water, get everything hooked up then shove off.
    And, Always, Always wear a PFD!!
    Don't forget the sun screen, I did!!

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

[This message has been edited by Jack Hise (edited 23 July 2005).]

The Outcast Fat Cat, Super Fat Cat, and Trinity are all rated for 300lbs or more and are very well made and very durable. They are also pricy. They can be seen online, along with Outcast's pontoon boats at [url=http://www.outcastboats.com:4c24d]www.outcastboats.com[/url:4c24d]

The Creek Company U-Boat 2000 and Original U-Boat are much less expensive (and not as well constructed) and are rated for 275lbs - which might be of marginal usage in this case becase the rating includes the user plus all gear . The Creek Company ODC 420 Float Tube is rated for 300lbs and runs about $160 ( see [url=http://www.creekcompany.com:4c24d]www.creekcompany.com[/url:4c24d] )

Generally you get what you pay for in terms of construction. More $ gets you better fabric, better stitching or welds, more durable bladders, better valves, better seats, better zippers on pockets.

The Outcast and Creek Company boats are all of the U shape.

There are also some tubes under the "Trout Unlimited" label that are rated fro 300-350lb and run less than $150

I haven't seen capacity ratings for other tubes.

As Castwell suggested, a pontoon boat may be the ticket also. There are trade offs with each.

Pontoons give you greater range and speed, put you higher off the water, and give more space for gear and can often support more weight.

Float tubes weigh much less, are easier to assemble/inflate, transport, and store. Many anglers also feel they are easier to hold in position in a wind.

[This message has been edited by tailingloop (edited 23 July 2005).]

Ed, I'm one of those guys you see out on the AZ lakes and ponds (I may not be "hauling fish out under your nose", but I'm out there where I don't have to decorate the weeds behind me with flys.

I used to be in a U-tube float tube but I finally went the route of the pontoon boat.

Comfort is much better in the pontoon. Also, it doesn't take near the agility to launch a pontoon boat 'cause you just sort of sit down but your butt is generally well above the water.

I've seen the following scenario twice: A guy gets his fins on, turns around and backs into his float tube, puts the bar across in front of his legs, picks up the tube by the handles on the side and starts to gently back into the water. (So far this is exactly the correct procedure.) Then, quicker than you can say "What the Hay", he trips on a unseen rock, the tube turns over backwards, the guy does the resulting back flip and ends up with his butt in the air and his head underwater and both finned feet flailing away. On both occasions, fortunately for the guy, there were a couple other fellows in the immediate neighborhood who got him right side up before he expired.

Ed, I note you are from AZ. There are 2 fly clubs in the Phoenix area. I know for a fact that the AFC (Arizona Fly Casters) have an informal program to teach (at no charge) folks how to use a float tube. I'd strongly suggest that you go to a meeting (2nd Thursday of each month) and bring the subject up to one of the experienced members, you'll get all the help you need.

Or contact me (my email addy is shown in my profile) and I'll get you set up.

------------------
    Snow on the roof but with fire still in the hearth

I've never used a tube per'se,I have a pontoon boat, I'm a big guy too! and these will sit you higher out of the water,and usually include an oar system, With which you can use in conjuntion with the flippers.

In the advent of a storm rolling in on you unexpectily they are quite helpful, And will speed your getting to shore.

PFD, Is a must,I've never even thought of my float cat being less than the 75 inch battleship that the company that sells it claims it to be..

The hobbie floatcat,is a hard sided toon,and requires no inflation,has a very soild frame system...Have wanted to add a float tube to my arsenal,for it's packability and light weight...my pontoon is only 45lbs but with my compact car,getting the 75 in. pontoons in the trunk is not quite possible...I do hear good things of the inflateable pontoon boats thoe...and they can be had for a decent price...in that , I mean under $500.00.

most are much more...
    as Jack said even for an older man cruiseing in a tube is pretty fun...I hope you take to the water and enjoy the freedom such gear can afford in your fishing style,It is a lot of fun...you'll be able to get into places most can't....and have solitude....and more fish catching than sitting on a bank watch'in those who are where the fish are..
    [url=http://www.hobiecat.com/fishing/models_floatcat75.html:26e8e]http://www.hobiecat.com/fishing/models_floatcat75.html[/url:26e8e]

hummm...after reading silvertops responce......I am rethinking the tube...lol...I think I'll just stay with my toon....

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 23 July 2005).]

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 23 July 2005).]

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 24 July 2005).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Ed,
    I'll second the Outcast Super fat Cat(SFC) recommendation. I'm 6'1" and weigh 265 lbs. My float tube is the SFC. When I bought this tube 4 years ago I weighed around 300 lbs. It's well built and a great V-shaped float tube. I ride higher out of the water than most of the other float tubes. Because of this I stay warmer in the cold and can stay out tubing longer. It's also easier to maneuver too. Just my $0.02 worth. Good-luck.

buy a pontoon, costs a little more. Well worth the price.

AND, you can stand up and pee. LOL
    ------------------
    Analizing our differences not only leads to enlightenment, but also to new and interesting ideas that you yourself may never have thought of.

[This message has been edited by countrygent36 (edited 23 July 2005).]

I'm the idiot that sold the Wood River to Jack!
    Seriously, I will go to the Hobie Floatcat with oars next year. I know 2 guys near me who have the Floatcat 60 (the small one) with oars & both love them. They are fairly light, pack well, but are sort of a cross between tube & pontoon. I miss the tube, & the use of oars should put me back on the water.

In addition to what others have said, make sure the stitching on the tube is double and/or triple stitched. I had seams pop when inflating a single stitched back rest on a tube years ago. What "type" cover exists where you fish?..that can dictate whether a tube with a thin (packcloth) cover will work or whether you need to look for a hard tube or 1,000 denier cover if you may be scraping stumps, branches & the like.
    Tubing is GREAT!!...With the right tube, your experience will be very enjoyable & productive.
    Silvertop2 gave great advice...hit those meetings & get some advice.
    Good luck!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Mike, they sell a motor mount for the Float Cat 75 Expedition...lol..No I hav'nt bought it, But I know, I could make my own.

If I had kept the trolling motor from my canoe,I'd be able to let you know how that settup worked.Sold all that stuff after having found the Hobbie,Hope you get back ON the water soon,I know how much you gotta be withdrawing about now.

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread