+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tying with 17/0

Blog Entries

Default Tying with 17/0

Alright I confess; I love to tie with Uni thread 17/0!

I Really like the how thin it is, and how it adds almost no bulk. I find myself using it for almost everything from size 20's all the way to size 6 streamers and woolly buggers. It is awesome stuff. I guess you could say that I am definately a Light thread user, I find it makes my flies look better and last longer because it adds so little bulk and you can use more wraps to secure things down. And the fact that it is white is no problem because you can just run a sharpie up the last 5-6 inches of it before you tie off on the fly.

A funny thing is I used to use Uni 8/0 as my main thread for all flies, but now that I have been using the 1
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Default Re: Tying with 17/0

Quote Originally Posted by Flyandtie1
    Alright I confess; I love to tie with Uni thread 17/0!

I Really like the how thin it is, and how it adds almost no bulk. I find myself using it for almost everything from size 20's all the way to size 6 streamers and woolly buggers. It is awesome stuff. I guess you could say that I am definately a Light thread user, I find it makes my flies look better and last longer because it adds so little bulk and you can use more wraps to secure things down. And the fact that it is white is no problem because you can just run a sharpie up the last 5-6 inches of it before you tie off on the fly.

A funny thing is I used to use Uni 8/0 as my main thread for all flies, but now that I have been using the 1
    I don't know how you do it. I have trouble breaking 6/0, LOL! I have never tried any smaller mostly because I just want to really cinch it down and it breaks a lot for me.

Wish I could, but then again what would I do with my 2 gallon baggies, one full with 6/0 and the other filled with 210 denier for my jigs.

Skip

Chris,

What are you using to color the thread or are you just using it in the standard white?
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Blog Entries

Mostly I use just the standard white, But when I want color I just use a sharpie.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright

It is wonderful stuff. We have been using it here since it came out for size 20 flies and smaller. Takes a marker well, not as much stretch as other that fine, and is the same material as 8/0 uni but fewer fibers. Only comes in White right now but like I said takes a marker well. Uni also has 20 denier and that is a fun thread for ubber small flies, it comes in Black & White.

Joe Fox

Can you tell me if there is a particular place to buy it, or is it available anywhere?? I might give it a try, sounds like a challenge to me!
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

I have been thinking about trying some of the smaller thread to see if any of it I can use without making me crazy so I have a few questions about this topic.

Is the 17/0 Uni that much better than the Danville 16/0 Spiderweb?

The Ice Thread in color mono, how thin is it and would it make a good substitute for the 17/0?

I would appreciate hearing from anyone that has tried any of the above.

Skip

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo
    Can you tell me if there is a particular place to buy it, or is it available anywhere?? I might give it a try, sounds like a challenge to me!
    I bought it at my local fly shop, so Im guessing that basically anywhere that sells a variety of tying threads.
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread