+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Moose problems!

Default Moose problems!

My neighbors down the road a couple miles found this bull moose tangled up in their neighbor's hammock yesterday. Don't leave your hammocks out for the winter in moose country!

They called the State Division of Wildlife, but their nearest officer was hours away, so they gave them some ideas for how to safely cut it loose. The first cut worked--but now the moose was still stuck, and now had a 6-foot radius in which to move. He charged everyone in sight, and the DOW advised to wait until morning to try again. You can see the circle he trampled overnight in the pictures.

Fortunately, overnight the moose wrapped most of the hammock around the tree, and couldn't charge. At 4:30AM the resident drove his tractor down to the moose and parked it. He waited a couple hours for the moose to stop panicking, then used the tractor bucket as a shield while cutting the rest of the hammock with a hatchet.

The video of the trapped moose and the rescue operation is on YouTube:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y9vw6nrh5_w

No moose or humans were hurt!
    DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!
    DANBOB

Default Re: Moose problems!

Danbob,

Wow! Sounds like everybody lived, though. Nice work.

Jeff
    "If you don't loosen up that buckle on your heart and start to chuckle, your gonna die of boredom, Safety Joe" ~John Prine

WHEW !

Cheers to the
    tractor driver,

MontanaMoose

Well George, I guess I will have to return the hammock I got you for Christmas.

Glenmoore, PA, on the banks of the East Brandywine Creek

Not that I'm advocating doin' anything illegal but ....if the game warden is a couple of hours away, wouldn't it have been easier to just take care of the issue with a 30-06 and throw him in the freezer?

Blog Entries

Danbob next time give me a call , I will be right there with my paint and brushes. I'd have painted DANBOBS MOOSE on each side. What a perfect opportunity let slip away.

I suppose that fellow was out of season?

Ps. a Moose stressed as that one obviously was all night long would probably not taste all that good.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Blog Entries

PA, Colorado has laws agin that sort of thing. Taking a bull moose illegally would set you back somewhere in the neighborhood of twelve thousand dollars. After a monster bull elk was poached in a neighborhood several years ago, the legislature passed the "Samson Law", which tacks huge penalties onto the basic offenses for shooting a trophy animal.

33-6-109. Wildlife - illegal possession. (3.4) (a) IN ADDITION TO THE CRIMINAL PENALTIES LISTED IN SUBSECTION (3) OF THIS SECTION, THERE SHALL BE ASSESSED A FURTHER PENALTY IN THE FOLLOWING AMOUNT FOR EACH OF THE FOLLOWING BIG GAME ANIMALS ILLEGALLY TAKEN:

(IV) FOR EACH BULL MOOSE, TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS;

Backcastwards ! Oh no! I blew that one din't I....whew....good thing I already have a hammock ! But still....I wouldn't want to get myself tangled up like that !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread