The things that I?ve learned while trout fishing this year:

The Chicago Leech and the Copper John are the most under-rated flies I have used. The traditional Elk Hair Caddis is the most over-rated. (Note to self: tie up more of the former, sell off most of the later)

In an emergency, Chapstik make an acceptable substitute for fly floatant. There is no substitute for Chapstik, especially the one with the SPF 30 formula.

7X tippet is the best thing to happen to trout fishing in a long time. The stomach pump is one of the worst.

Purple Loosestrife is one of the prettiest of the invasive species, Wild Parsnip is the worst. I think God only made two mistakes: the pit in the avocado is too big and Wild Parsnip.

Good mending skills are a close second to casting skills in order of importance with wading skills coming in a close third. Trout don?t give a damn how the fly got on the water but they do care a lot about how it behaves once it?s on the water

There is so much fly-fishing talent here in the upper Midwest. I would rather fish with my friend Wally than Lefty Kreh, I would rather sit and watch Bob Blumreich tie flies than A.K. Best, and I would rather watch Dave Barron or John Breslin cast than Flip Pallot or Steve Rajeff.

Trout do smile. They smile at the beauty of their surroundings.

There is no Catch-and-Release if you hook a bat and no amount of side pressure will land a hooked cow.

Chicagoans (and I am one of them) drive like fools, (which I still do) park streamside where the do not belong (but I do not anymore) but are appreciative of the privilege to fish in Wisconsin. Deeply appreciative.

Trout flies much like prayers, are sometimes best offered from my knees, if only to keep me humble.

There are no accidents in nature. If you have doubts about the existence of a Supreme Being, catch a brook trout and admire the coloration. Which I intend to do come the first Saturday of March 2008.

Joseph