+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Native Watercraft

Blog Entries

Default Native Watercraft

I've owned a number of SOT kayaks over the years and I can't complain about any of them. I added a Native Watercraft 14.5 Ultimate to the fleet back in May. I don't regret it. My only complaint is why didn't I get one earlier?

The weight distribution is such that it feel lighter when loading and unloading. It's very stable in the water and paddles like a dream. I rarely make a correction.

The 14.5 comes rigged as a tandem. But there are instructions as to how to make it a solo kayak. Mine is rigged as a solo.

It's fairly fast and oh, so roomy. The roominess is the best thing.

Oh, and the seat is pure luxury. No sore behind or back.

It's one great fishing machine.

You have to transport it upside down, because there are no scupper holes, so it isn't self-bailing. I'd advise carrying a hand pump with you just in case you take a wave over the bow or side. That's never happened to me, but you never know and want to be prepared if it happens.

The kayak is tunnel-hulled, so it provides a stable base for those who want to stand.

I've added an anchor trolley, but that's about it.

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a PM.
    Steve

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

Default Re: Native Watercraft

Now ... for those of you with shoulder problems, elbow problems, etc, check this out.

http://www.nativewatercraft.com/pedal/pedalboat.html

I saw this posted on another forum. Dang thing really appears to move through the water very nicely.
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

Interesting drive system in the video. Thanks for the link. I like that it has reverse, but it sounds like it's a LONG ways from production (hand carved prototype propeller, only drive unit on the planet, the boat it's in is hand-tweaked, etc...i.e.: still very early in development).

I'm sure they'll work out the kinks so it handles shallow water well (something that Hobie's pedal system handles nicely). I have 3 pedal Hobies and love fishing from them...sure would like to have reverse some day.

I'd definitely want to have a hand pump if I were fishing from the Ultimate 14.5. Yes, it looks VERY stable but stuff happens and those pumps are designed to empty a lot of volume quickly. Paddling to shore with a load of water is really tough. The pump should be standard safety gear (and there's plenty of room to store it in that craft).

I seen that drive system on another fourm as well...I have a Hobie outback...and what I see of that drive system as THE Major drawback, Is it's stationary mounting of the post atleast a full foot below the keel line of the boat...That's really going to limit this drives use to lakes and ponds.. rocks and submerged log's in rivers would reak havoc on this design...In my opinion.

Where as with the Hobie drive, One merely pushes and hold a foot pedal froward and the fins fold tight to the hull...Kinda handy if passing over an obstruction...
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

Yep, there gonna have to make it real easy to swing up out of the way. I fish and paddle some very skinny waters at times here in West Central Florida.
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

I intend on getting the Native Ultimate 12 soon.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

+ Reply to Thread