+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone tried this new tippet, yet?

Default Anyone tried this new tippet, yet?

Not to be confused with braided leaders, I wanted to know if any one's tried this new tippet material yet!?
    I thought, "floats and 15 times, stronger than steel", to be quite interesting!

"Quoted from trade show Magazine".....................

We first saw this interesting new tippet material at the Fly Fishing Retailer show in Denver in September. At the time, production issues prevented RIO from handing out samples, but apparently those issues are resolved and the new braided Extreme Tippet is good to go. The new material is actually 100% braided Dyneema, which floats on water and is 15 times stronger than steel. (By the way, we asked Simon Gawesworth of RIO what affect the leader's buoyancy has on a nymph. His answer: "It is so thin that there is no effect on it. It floats if you cut off a piece and throw it on the water without a fly on, but with a weighted nymph on -- even of normal weight -- it will cut through the water easily.") RIO is touting the tippet's sensitivity and recommends it for use in Czech nymphing and other techniques where bite detection is paramount. The suggested retail price for Extreme Tippet is $8.95 for a 20 yard spool. (End quote)
    Just, imagine........... a tank made out of tippet material??!!

Paul
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Default Re: Anyone tried this new tippet, yet?

I have not seen it yet, but I have the utmost respect and admiration for Simon and REDington as well. I will try to get a sample.

Normand Guest

Imagine how long a 20 yard spool would last. I'm looking forward to getting some.

perhaps not as long as you'd think, gqualls. If it's that strong and that thin, when it does break it's more likely to be at the leader/tippet connection point than at the fly, meaning you'll be replacing the whole tippet each time. At least that's been my experience so far using braids for tippet. Hopefully I'm wrong because besides that it sounds like a great idea. My other question would be in terms of visibility versus flourocarbon.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Blog Entries

Bluegill,

You have a good point about where the fly is going to break off. Time on the water will tell on that question.

You made an excellent point regarding the visibility aspect of the new braided tippet as compared to the very low visibility of fluorocarbon.

I have started using fluorocarbon tippet on all my flies, including dry flies. I really like the newer Rio product, Fluoroflex Plus tippet, very strong and very thin. I think I will stick with that and let some of you others try out the braided tippet.

For those of you who do try, let us know what you think of it.

Larry
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

+ Reply to Thread