+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suggested Fly Lines for Wet Fly Fishing

1. Default Suggested Fly Lines for Wet Fly Fishing

I am trying to "get into" wet fly fishing for trout in mountain streams. Which fly line would you suggest for this type of fishing? Sink tip or floating or intermediate? I was hoping that my SA GPX would work well with a fluocarbon leader. Please advise and provide help with a proper fly line for wet fly fishing for trout in mountain streams. Thank you.

Default Re: Suggested Fly Lines for Wet Fly Fishing

A floating double taper line will be just fine. You don't a forward taper because I assume your mountain streams are not 5o ft. across and because of the tight spaces, roll casting, if any casting at all, will be the ticket. Sinking lines are not necessary unless the mountain stream is real deep.

If you have a fly shop in your area, ask them to match your rod to a line. The shop in Cotter Ar gave me a line to cast before I bought it. I bought a floating Rio for my Sage rod. There are so many lines, it's best to try one before buying. I don't like Scientific Angler lines, just because they are rough and I get line burn fast stripping to catch up with a fish.

Agree with Loufly in regards to using a floating line. From my experience the type of line should be either a DT or a level line. Based on the assumption that the streams are small the type/brand of line doesn't make much different. I like a yellow or orange line and when fishing I try to keep just the tip of the line in the water & I use the tip as a strick indicator if I lose sight of my fly.

Tim

wcuboy,

I fish wet flies on a WF floating line (SA Mastery Trout Taper) and do very well. I've fished them so that only the front taper of the line has been outside the rod tip, and with 40 feet of line outside the rod tip. It all works. Most wet flies fish well in the top two feet of the water column so getting a fly deep isn't a concern to me. If I need to get a fly deeper, I cast further upstream so the fly will sink deeper before getting to the fish ( I don't fish weighted wet flies.).

Use what gear you have, use some old sstandard wet flies (partridge and orange for instance) and have a blast.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

I fish for bass with a floating line. I can get down to 10 feet pretty easily with a weighted fly.

I stream fish for trout too. With a little bit of weight on the the tippet you can get down to 3-5 ft in moving water without too much problem.

My favorite as of late for trout: soft hackle flies with a small split shot 1-2ft above.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

wcu boy............
    If you want to get down a little deeper you might want to try one of the AirFlow Poly leaders.
    See:
    http://www.flyfishusa.com/leaders/polyleaders/polyleaders.htm
    FFF Life Member #22

+ Reply to Thread