+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pulaski New York steelhead

Default Re: Pulaski New York steelhead

Nevermind

OK guys,

This post is definatly going the wrong way!

To each his owe, I say.

Now lets get back to the nitty-gritty; any info on fishing the place?

Thanks, and have a great day,
    chris

Chris -

Sorry to have contributed to taking your post in the wrong direction, but maybe we can get you back on track a bit. I'd love to join you for some fishing there, but my wife recently broke her leg and I have to stay close to home for the next several weeks to take care of her since she's pretty immobile. I normally fish there several days at a time every several weeks, all winter, and have been doing so for many years (as in too many years to remember - 25, or is it 30?)

The fishing on the Salmon River can be very good at any time during the winter; or you can get skunked. But, that's fishing. I've had lots of 20 fish days this time of year there; several a day is probably more realistic, with the right flies fished in the right places.

Personally, I wouldn't be as concerned about the weather's efffect on the fishing as I'd be on being dressed appropriately for it. You can plan on there being lots of snow and cold, but I've fished all day there when it's 20 degrees below zero (Fahrenheit, of course!), and caught fish. Coming from Quebec, that weather might feel downright balmy to you!

Whitaker's website, already mentioned, has links to both the 10 day weather forecast, and the water level. The water level was recently 750cfs, as already mentioned, which is just about perfect, IMO. Don't get too concerned about higher (or lower) flows than this, since they're all fishable with different tactics. Higher flows (within reason) are generally better for the fishing there than extremely low ones - for example, 500cfs up to 1000-1500cfs max. is better fishing, than (say) 250cfs -- you just need to adapt. Don't miss fishing at the crack of dawn, and the very end of the day, as those 2 times often produce the most hook-ups; however, the warmest hour (relatively) in early afternoon can also be as good as any other time.

There are lots of places to stay and a range of prices. Over the winter, Melinda's Fly Shop in Altmar, NY, is one I can recommend, is a good source of info about the river, and is within an easy walk of the lower fly zone. (I haven't been there yet this fall and winter, so I'm assuming she's still open?)

Regardless of the wt and length of rod you choose to use, if you have one with oversized guides, that's a big plus for this time of year because you'll get ice in your guides. You didn't ask about techniques, so I assume you're familiar with the chuck and duck - level line - fishing that's predominately used by "fly fishermen" there, especially during the winter, when water levels are often moderately high and steelhead holding deep?

Although many people avoid the Cemetary Hole, which is at the upper end of the lower fly zone in Altmar, it probably holds more fish than anywhere else in the river this time of year, and even if you choose to later fish elsewhere, it's a good place for a first-timer to start with, unless you have someone to guide you, if for no other reason than to observe other people fishing there, to see how it's done and what the fish are being caught on.

Think small for your flies. 12's to 16's will be the best bets. Lots of egg flies, in most colors, small stoneflies in black and even some browns and yellows, (a bit of red on that black stone never hurts either) and even San Juan worms catch steelhead there. Bead head patterns, especially with plenty of flash, like flashback PT's, and Copper Johns, work, as do typical (but small) steelhead flies and in "steelhead" colors - chartreuse, purple, pink, etc. etc.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Catch 22
    Nevermind

No, Catch! Go ahead, with whatever you were going to say!?! I learned some new things and personally "thank you", for your first post on this thread! So, anything you were going to add, I for one, would enjoy reading.
    I apologize to one and all, if I was part and partial for getting this original post off kilter.

Paul
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Paul,

I'll take a pass on that. I stand by my first post.

I will, however, take mild exception to John's statement about the weather having no effect on the fishing. Have you ever tried fishing when the river is filled with slush? This can be a problem more in the lower river, and it usually clears out in a few hours, but it can happen.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Catch 22
    Paul,
    I will, however, take mild exception to John's statement about the weather having no effect on the fishing.

Jeff

Did I ever say such a terrible thing?

7-11 Slushies are on the House if I did!

John

From years of experience fishing the SR (note: I make no claims about being an "experienced" fisherman, just sharing my notes on the river), I have had good hook-up-to-land ratios with a 7wt or 8wt during flows above 500 cfs, give or take. This isn't to say that a 6wt isn't appropriate, but at 750 or better that water is MOVING. Even in 33 degree water, the larger fish will turn broadside into the current and you'll be dang near spooled within a minute or two. Hotter fish will quickly cause you regret for using a 6wt! However, some guys feel confident using a 6. No way to a 5wt on the SR unless you're fishin' it for resident trout...and even then you might hook up with a Skam or Atlantic.

My humble opinion is that a 7wt is what *I* am minimally comfortable with there. I fished it pretty hard for 4 years in college and learned that those higher winter flows demand a rod that enables you to really put the wood to the fish.

Whatever happens, HAVE FUN and play the fish to the best of your ability. Sometimes that just means uprating yoru leader and tippet, not overlining your rod or upsizing the rod. If you're confident in your set-up, then go for it.

Marty

Studies have demonstrated, the recovery period is shorter and complete when you land the fish sooner. When a fish fights he builds up lactic acid in his bloodstream. The longer the fight is prolonged, the more acid produced that may not actually kill the steelhead until hours after the fight. This is why you should use a bigger rod and not a smaller one
    Catch and Release So Others Can Enjoy Them

By all means come on down Chris! Plenty of fish to go around here. The SR is a great option but do not overlook the Oswego River (right in the town of Oswego) which is just a bit further to the west as it can produce good Steelhead fishing and exceptional fishing for Tierra Del Fuego sized Brown Trout and the LOVE to eat flies.

You have already been given some good info but I'll add a bit more.

Yes, Whitaker's is a good place to get info on conditions and flies and is also a good place to stay as well. http://www.whitakers.com/

You can also check Randy Jones's website for current conditions and some tips/tactics - www.yankeeangler.com . Also a great guide to hire for a day to learn the river. You can book a day and tell him you want a tour of the river to learn it and he will school you on just about everything you would need to know to fish the river well on your own. Teaching guides are RARE as most don't want to give you the info to fish on your own but Randy is great for that. It would be money very well spent as you'll have that "local" knowledge for years to come.

A 5 or 6WT would work but I would recommend at least a 6 and prefer a 7 or even an 8 depending on the river flows. This time of year the flows can be as low as 285CFS or as much as 3000CFS. The river fishes well in that 500CFS to 800CFS range. Anything over that can be tough in certain areas but it still remains fishable with the fly up to around 1500CFS if you hit the right locations. The winter pattern fish do not fight nearly like those that hit the river earlier in the season when the water is above 50 degrees but they can still be a bit of a handful in higher water flows.

At this time most of the fish are in their winter holding pattern, lying out in the deeper runs along current seams. If there is a melt or some rain and sun the lower river will still get fresh fish in that will be moving up river. This fresh fish will come aggressively to larger attractor style flies while the winter pattern fish are better fished for using smaller insect and egg patterns in the 8 - 14 range. Again, the folks at Whitaker's can help you out with up to the minute fly selections.

I'd recommend a good quality fluoro like Seaguar's Grand Max as Steelhead have excellent eyesight. We go as light as 4lb tippet at this time, depending on water conditions. I'd also highly recommend rubber soled boots with good carbide spikes. You can get hurt using felt as the snow will stick to them as your walk and the spikes help grip the ice, snow, mud and rocks.

WATCH the weather. Pulaski and Oswego are right in the line of fire for the lake effect snow bands that develop with cold temps and a W or NW wind. It can be blue skies and lovely out 10 miles north and 10 miles south of Pulaski and be snowing at the rate of 6 inches per hour in the area. Keep in mind that a few years back the Pulaski are got pounded by over 90 inches( YES 90 INCHES) in only 36 hours so it can get very bad. Keep warm clothes and a shovel in your car just in case and try and keep your cars gas tank full. The nice thing about this time of year is that there is NO reason to get up early and hit the river. As the water warms in the sun and such the fish will become more active. Just a 1/4 degree temp rise can really fire the fish up.

Wish I could fish with ya but it's a busy time of year at the office.

I look forward to hearing how your adventure goes.

Yeah Chris,

Let us know if you end up making the trip. I could probably arrange a weekend getaway from the house here in VA. There are plenty of guys here who'd be willing to show you the ropes there!

Marty

+ Reply to Thread