+ Reply to Thread

Thread: green river help

Default green river help

I am a newbie and hope some of you might be able to help. I am going to be in Provo Utah for a conference for a couple of days in August and wanted to do some fishing on the famed green river. I booked a float trip on the madison two days before and wanted to do some solo fishing(no guide)to save some money. Any ideas of easy access areas with decent fishing? Any areas I should concentrate on or stay away from. Is that the closest good fishing from Provo? I thank all of you for the help.

I've never been there, but from what I hear, if it's easy access stay away from it. I hear horror stories about how many people hit the green. Sounds to me like a nice place for a picnic but not fishing. I have heard though, floating it is a good idea.

------------------
    Analizing our differences not only leads to enlightenment, but also to new and interesting ideas that you yourself may never have thought of.

Thanks countrygent. You are right. I just read the same thing on another website. If anyone else has any other ideas so that I can have at least one fun day on the water if my conference is too boring, please let me know. Is the provo river any better? By easy access I meant that I wouldn't have time for much scouting. I am willing to hike in but do not have a clue where to go. Thanks again CG

I'll get ahold of my brother. He has a friend that lives there in Provo and just might be able to get you headed the right direction. Don't hold your breath on this one, it is a long shot.

If you are okay with a little walking getting onto the Green at either the Dam or at Little Hole will see you in less crowded stretch with some walking/wading.

From the Dam, walk down stream and you will come to the Aquarium after about a mile.

From Little Hole head upstream (quite a bit of wading) or downstream for some quieter spots. Never ceases to amaze me how fishermen (generalising here), do not seem to move more than 1,000 yards from where they hit the river.

If you are fishing the Provo, just follow the road which runs along the side and park up. Access to this river is a lot easier.

The Weber is my favourite Utah river and often overlooked becuase of the more renowned rivers in the State. Again access is pretty easy with a map. Further north the Logan is also a nice river and some of it's tribs are well worth spending a day on.

------------------
    JME
    @===----?----?----?
    Member of B.A.S.S [url=http://www.ukbass.com:3c7e1]http://www.ukbass.com[/url:3c7e1]

lsuprof, given the time of year you plan to visit the Green you're not likely to find it terribly crowded. In any case if you enter at Little Hole and walk the path upstream a bit you'll soon have a lot of river to yourself. Visit Denny Breer's shop in Dutch John and they'll give you excellent advice on flies and access.

Al

Thanks to all that helped. I will try one of the places mentioned and will stop by Breer's shop the day I get there.

I'd go for the Green and walking the trail from Little Hole up stream. I have fished it many times this time of the year wading and caught my largest brown--25 inch. You can stand on the trail and pick from hundreds of trout to fish for.

------------------

Bill

+ Reply to Thread