+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dremel Moto Tool for Shaping Foam Poppers

Hybrid View

Default Dremel Moto Tool for Shaping Foam Poppers

I am interested in buying a Dremel Moto tool for shaping foam popper bodies. I would appreciate suggestions on which model to purchase. There are quite a few models
    to choose from and some have fixed speeds, one or two speeds or multiple speeds. Also, which shaping attachments would be useful to own?

Thanks

Rick

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

Rick:

I have been doing foam bugs with a Dremel for just over ten years now. During that time I have used, and still have, two different instruments. The original is one that I have had for close to 30 years and it is a "two-speed" unit: it is either off or it is on. My new one is a two speed. Both are corded, and I highly recommend the corded ones, as the batteries always peter out at the most inopportune time. There are only two Dremel tools that are essential, One is the perfectly round stone tool for cupping the faces of both balsa and foam bodies. The second is a sanding drum. I glue, using a contact cement, a strip of 320 grit sandpaper cut to size, over the grit that comes on them, which is WAY TOO COARSE! They will eat up a body in the bat of an eye (PLEASE don't ask me how I know). The thing that I do differently is that I DO NOT use a needle in the construction of my bugs. I simply cut a slit to proper depth to accept the hook down the center of the bottom with my Rappala fillet knife. I typically use a cotton or polyester thread to cover that part of the hook that will be glued inside the body. I use CA glue to glue the hook in. Old spring-type clothes pins make great gluing clamps.

When I first started making foam bodies, I would hold the hook in one hand and the Dremel in the other and would shape the bodiy to my desired shape. This approach works great for maybe 6 bodies, after which time the muscles in the fingers of the hand holding the hook get tired, but you are totally unaware of it. It is really quite a fright when the bug, hook and all, flies out of your hand like a Polaris missile! Finding the crazy thing can be a real challenge. I had one go missing for three days in my tying room some years ago. The solution to the problem is very simple and inexpensive. A good pair of haemostats will do. However, some years ago my friendly neighborhood hardware had a clearance sale and had the nicest pair of small vice grips on the table. They are fabulous as they have an "unlocking" lever built in that makes opening them a snap.

I am in the process of getting some photos organizerd to post on the Foam Fly thread.

Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread