+ Reply to Thread

Thread: renzetti - rotary function

Default renzetti - rotary function

I hesitate to bring up a problem in a public forum, but I think it may be my fault, so need some input. My traveler does not seem to rotate around a fixed point - the shank of the hook is in one position when I insert it in the vise, but when I turn it upside down it is a good 1/4 inch lower - this makes the thread jump up and down when wrapping and it doesn't go on even. Does this make any sense to you rotary tyers?

Default Re: renzetti - rotary function

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy
    I hesitate to bring up a problem in a public forum, but I think it may be my fault, so need some input. My traveler does not seem to rotate around a fixed point - the shank of the hook is in one position when I insert it in the vise, but when I turn it upside down it is a good 1/4 inch lower - this makes the thread jump up and down when wrapping and it doesn't go on even. Does this make any sense to you rotary tyers?
    The shank of the hook needs to be in line with the center of the rotating axle of the vise. Sometimes this requires moving the jaws up or down in one of the three adjusting holes of the jaws. If the shank is not in the same plane as the axle centerline, the fly will be off center when rotating. Check the instructions that came with your vise (if you have them). I looked on the renzetti website, but did not see any online instructions.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Blog Entries

I had to move mine up one hole when I first got it. It is described in the instructions.

For your problem you take out the screw on the side of the jaws and move the jaws up or down one hole. Mine works best in the center hole. It sounds like you need to go up one. Simple takes 30 seconds or so.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Normand Guest

the jaws on my traveler is set to the center hole also. give that a try. the hook doesn't need to be perfectly in line to work but it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Normand
    the jaws on my traveler is set to the center hole also. give that a try. the hook doesn't need to be perfectly in line to work but it helps.
    Norm's correct about the alignment. I have trained my material hand to follow the hook when the hook is not dead on center (not really an accomplishment worthy of accolades). It's not really a big issue, and I have not moved my jaws in over two years. Mainly because I don't tie itsy-bitsy or humungous flies. I also have other vises that I use for different applications.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

From what I remember about the directions that came with my vice the three holes that hold the head to the arm are for adjusting the jaws to hold diifferent size hooks one hole for 3/0 - ?? another for "medium" size hooks and the other for the small ones ??-28. To make the hook line up on the center line you'll need to change the point at which you attach the hook in the jaws. If you are currently placing the jaws someplace behind the barb on a size 14 and it's centered, you'll need to place the jaws higher up on the bend if you switch to a size 10 to keep it centered.

Kevin

I guess I understand the concept better now, after moving the hook up and down in the jaws at all the different settings, but I think the true rotary function would be better addressed by simply setting the jaws in line with the axis the jaws rotate on, and then moving the hook up or down in the jaws to align the center line of the hook with the "shank" of the rotating shaft. I think the whole thing would work better if the jaws had one more setting that would exactly align the jaws with the shaft. But I can at least make it work now - thanks for all the advice.

There are vises that have the jaws in line with the rotation axis, unfortunately your Travler isn't one. The Renzetti version is the Clouser. Dyna-King Professional is another and the NorVise is a third that comes to mind.

Do as previously mentioned and adjust the jaws and the hook to rotate on the axis and your Travler will serve you fine.

Don
    Don O

9. Default Re: renzetti - rotary function

Quote Originally Posted by fly-chucker
    From what I remember about the directions that came with my vice the three holes that hold the head to the arm are for adjusting the jaws to hold diifferent size hooks one hole for 3/0 - ?? another for "medium" size hooks and the other for the small ones ??-28. To make the hook line up on the center line you'll need to change the point at which you attach the hook in the jaws. If you are currently placing the jaws someplace behind the barb on a size 14 and it's centered, you'll need to place the jaws higher up on the bend if you switch to a size 10 to keep it centered.
    Correct, to a degree. Hole closest to hook would be used for larger hooks (such as 3/0+) as it drops the jaws farther from the axis of rotation, middle hole for most hooks, and bottom (closest to cam or clamp screw) for smaller hooks. Changing to the different holes raises and lowers the jaws making it easier to place hooks closer to in line with the axis of rotation. You should be able to place the hook in the vise with it aligned (or nearly aligned) with the axis of rotation with the jaws gripping the bend of the hook but not the hook point.

Daren

+ Reply to Thread