+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oren-O-Matic reel: Help Wanted

Default Oren-O-Matic reel: Help Wanted

For fun I picked up an old Oren-O-Matic reel at a flea market...it was cheap, but appears to be functional. It has the spring loaded automatic rewind deal. Does anyone know how to load line on this thing and use it? I guess I assumed (foolishly) that it would be self-evident once I took a look at it. Wrong (at least to me). I can't find a user guide or much info at all on the 'Net...thought someone here might have an idea.

Just joined this weekend...looks like a great site! I've already enjoyed paging through some of the threads...makes me wish it wasn't December and frozen...

Default Re: Oren-O-Matic reel: Help Wanted

Hi - Welcome to FAOL. I used to have one of those reels. They are relatively easy to operate. If I bought one at a sale and wanted to put line on it I would.

1. Turn the windup ring to make sure that the reel works (It appears that you have done this).

2. Depress the windup handle to remove all tension from the spring.

3. Either tie the line directly onto the spool or take a small length of heavy backing and use it between the line & the spool. I would not use a lot obf backing, maybe 3 or 4 feet. Its sole purpose to make the tie job easier.

4. Crank the windup ring until there is tension on the spring.

5. Depress the windup handle so the line goes onto the reel.

6. Repeat steps 4 & 5 as necessary until all the line is on the reel.

7. When done depress the windup ring to remove the tension on the spring. I have been told this helps to keep the spring from weakening when the reel is not in use.

NOTE: This is much easier if the reel is affixed to a rod and the line through a guide.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Nearly all automatic fly reels have a tension release built into to them so that you neednt leave it stored with the spring under tension. Depending on exatly who actualy manufactured the one you have 'the release will appear in different places. The two most common designs were Martin and Shakespere. In the case of a Martin the release will appear as a small serated thumb slide protruding from the cover lock ring. Deppress it and the ratchet will release the cover to unwind,(turn backward) and releive spring tension. The other more common design is the shakespere, were the release is a kneraled ring located on the top of the spring houseing, about the size of a quarter. It will have a screw in the center with a notched ring locate around its base. By advanceing the ring in a clock wise direction the tension will be released. It is a good idea to familurize yourself with these features on automatic reels for a couple of reasons. First of course to help preserve the spring itself. Second is to allow line to be drawn without tension, should you get a run with a fish and the spring becomes fully wound tight, thus unable to release line against a light tippet. Too, to preclude the paratice of winding line all the way up into the reel as a way of releiveing spring tension. Doing so runs the risk of the line or leader spinning at speed witha loose end to slip itself under other loops of line on the spool and creating a catch that will work its way further down thru the layers of line till reaches a cross over point undertension and causeing the effect of a jammed reel. That last one is not unique to automatic fly reels, but has manifested itself in all types of reels when the line end is allowed to be wound on to the spool without consideration. Now that may be more information than you realy wanted, but how else could I have fashioned it, as to leave JC an opeaning to chim in and plug the use of Reel Dots. I mean fair is fair.
    Capt. Paul Darby Dont wait to be ask, get out and teach.

grrfish1 is correct. It has been so long since I used an auto that I had forgot about the tension release feature. I would follow his advise.

Tim

You guys are the best! Thanks for all the great info!
    I doubt I will use this one a lot, but it will be fun to give it a try.

I'm so glad I found this site - looks to be a wonderful enhancement to my (relatively) recent foray into fly fishing.

Cheers,
    Paul

i have one of theese reels......the spring tention release on mine is a silver metal ring bout the size of a quarter on the same side as the winding ring.........thats not the releast you use that liiks like a leaver to wind the line onto the reel.....its used to release all the springs tention when you get ready to put the reel away between fishin trips......when ya turn the tention release wheel, dont turn it wide open or the spring could release too fast and either snap the spring into or it could come loose from the arbor..........i use only yawman automatic reels now & have put the other on a shelf just to look at.......one other thing i didnt see mentioned about this reel is that is has an internal brake in the form of a smaller coiled spring that fits tightly on the arbor.........when you strip line from the reel, allways press the finger leaver when striping line from the reel.......if ya dont the break spring will file down the arbor & you will find lots of fine metal shavings in your oren o matic reel......ive had that hapen to me.......
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

Thanks, Bugman! Much appreciated!

git it figered out ?

+ Reply to Thread