+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cork

Default Cork

Lubricant for old dry looking cork Handel

Default Re: Cork

Quote Originally Posted by GeneD
    Lubricant for old dry looking cork Handel
    Welcome to FAOL, GeneD. That's a very good question that I would also like to know about. I wasn't aware that there was anything to bring back the natural qualities of the cork once they dried out. I'm sure someone here will have the answer.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Blog Entries

I'm not sure....I use a little paste wax on mine as well as on my rod....I'm not sure what it would do in your case but my thoughts are it wouldn't hurt and might possibly help.
    Sometimes a crowd can be the loneliest place

fish slime
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Welcome aboard GeneD, I gave your question some thought and it occurs to me that since cork absorbs moisture that it would also have to pass moisture back to the atmosphere. I'm no chemist or anything but I'd think normal use would help 'revitalize' the cork to a degree. I've tried the cork sealers and I didn't like them at all but they seem to help keep cork grips from becoming too dry.

I may be way off on my presumptions but I have a rod that I bought 50 years ago and the cork looks fine. And it's not like I've ever done anything to keep it from drying out besides putting it away in a sock in a case for about half of it's life I suppose.

Not to dwell here (guess I am by now though) but I'll sometimes use a little Dawn dish soap and tap water to clean a filthy cork grip on an old rod I've purchased but for a normal 'much used' looking cork grip I do nothing. Ok, I've said more than you needed to know so I'll stop now ! Have fun here GeneD.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Clean cork with a dobi-pad and a little liquid dish soap.Sand with extra fine sand paper, and fill pitts with Elmers glue mixed with cork dust and sand out .Coat with U40 cork sealer.This has worked for me on restoring old cork grips.
    Wes.

I have used linseed oil to renew old cork. I first used Soft Scrub kitchen cleanser to remove most of the dirt and grime. Then some very fine sand paper (150 grit) on any rough areas or stubborn dirt.

I mixed the straight linseed oil 50/50 with mineral spirits to improve penetration and applied several light coats, drying at least 24 hours in between coats.

The cork has a great feel and the linseed oil brings out the hightlights in the cork grain.

Kengore...how long will that last?

I clean with Soft Scrub but haven't done anything else.

The linseed oil soaks in and the corks seems to wear just like the handle on a new rod. I refinished my 4wt last year when I repaired a gouge and fished with it most of this season. It's a little dirty but other than that I can't see any wear...

linsead oil (spelling mite be wrong) works great on old dried out cork.....the rod i redone which is a montague flash, i put on linsead oil (pure) with a cotton ball & let it soak in fer 3 days then put on a coat of cork seal........

+ Reply to Thread