+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hook point up?

Default Re: Hook point up?

Hi group,

Jig hooks also make great "hook point up" dry fly parachute flies. We use a poly post so it will easily collapse when the fish grabs the fly. We wrap the parachute hackle around the "up" part of the hook shank after tying on the wing material. A size #10 or #12 makes a great Drake style pattern. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty
    www.btsflyfishing.com

I have been trying to post a picture of the upside down muddlers (without dumbell eyes, they are neutral density) but my camera isn't cooperating. Anyway, it is a standard marabou muddler, but tied so that it looks right with the hook up and all the bouyant material (marabou, estatz body, dear hair) on the inside of the hook bend. Page 33 of Farrow and Allens "Flies for Bass and Panfish" has a fly that is basically the same, just with some different wing material (and mine isn't as pretty).

Wow! Thanks everyone for your responses! Now I have to figure out what to try first!

When I started fly fishing 1-1/2 years ago, I didn't understand the appeal to tying one's own flies when you can buy them in a store and spend more of your spare time fly-fishing. Now I understand part of the appeal - you can be creative and tie flies based on what you find most useful when fishing.

Your responses are really helpful. I was hoping to try some over the weekend, but didn't have time. Hopefully, will get to try some next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDun
    Wow! Thanks everyone for your responses! Now I have to figure out what to try first!

When I started fly fishing 1-1/2 years ago, I didn't understand the appeal to tying one's own flies when you can buy them in a store and spend more of your spare time fly-fishing. Now I understand part of the appeal - you can be creative and tie flies based on what you find most useful when fishing.

Your responses are really helpful. I was hoping to try some over the weekend, but didn't have time. Hopefully, will get to try some next weekend.
    In Good Flies, John Gierach explains how he ties his deer hair streamer patterns upside down. As a pattern book, to my mind, Good Flies doesn't get the credit it deserves.

+ Reply to Thread