+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sage Z-Axis or SLT?

hutjensmpg Guest

Default Re: Sage Z-Axis or SLT?

Quote Originally Posted by RS1
    If you haven't made up your mind yet, take a look at Winston's Boron series. For blanks it's about the same between Sage and Winston. BIIX is fast for Winston but it's butter smooth, or for a softer tip a BIIT. The BIIVery light in the hand and you could fish all day and not feel it.

I couldn't agree more. I have a Z-Axis in 5 that I use on bigger water and in the wind. I had a Z-Axis in 4, but sold it to a friend to replace his SLT and now fish a BIIX in 3 or 4 for smaller streams (I think I have a rod addiction!), but it will also do it all if you push it. Close in you can cast it with just the tip and farther out push it into the butt for power. It's really good at protecting light tippets.

IMHO, if you're only going to consider Sage, go with the Z. The SLT just feels a little sloppy to me. BUT, the local fly shop owner has told me that the new ZXL is very similar to the old Sage LL rods, which were supposedly spectacular. I haven't cast either of those, but that could be your ticket. See now why I have so many rods!

2. Default Re: Sage Z-Axis or SLT?

I've been fishing a 590-4 Z-AXIS for the past 2 months. A very unfortunate accident retired my 590-3 SP to a watery grave, sending me on a search to replace it as my goto all around trout rod. After casting every 5 weight rod on my list, including several different series from Scott, Winston, Loomis, and Sage, the Z-AXIS stood out. The action is fast, but smooth?the rod is light but strong. The majority of my fishing is in Utah, Idaho and Wyoming where you can alternate between dry's, dry/dropper?s, double nymph rigs, and small streamers, all in a single day. In my opinion the Z-AXIS is the best Western trout rod available right now.

3. Default Re: Sage Z-Axis or SLT?

PAangler,

I live a couple miles from you in Chester County. Just a suggestion, why don't you take the short trip to TCO fly shop in Reading, and cast each of these rods? I would never buy a rod or blank without test casting that rod, and other similar rods first. Also, you can compare the Winstons and Sages side-by-side at TCO. I?m not sure if the SLT?s are still in stock since the model was discontinued, but there are many discounted blanks floating around for building.

BTW, I think the Z-Axis is the best all around rod I have ever cast. It does it all??for me at least! Good luck and your new rod build.

Default Re: Sage Z-Axis or SLT?

RS1 had a great suggestion in trying the Winston Biix. My 6 wt SLT will do anything for me, but my 4 wt is a Biix. The Z-Axis 4 wt will definitely cast the furthest. Sage stopped making the SLT before I had a chance to try it in a 4 wt and I did not like Sage's ZXL (replacement for the SLT). What sold me on the Biix 4 wt was the way it handled both long distance and the more intricate shorter distances compared to the other available 4 wt rods.

+ Reply to Thread