+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question about Bear Spray

Default Re: Question about Bear Spray

Guideman, thanks for your input. I've always recommended 12 ga. slugs for our Northernly friends or at the very least 44mag. One thing I've never considered that you brought up was "...If a bear is making a full charge, running probably around 35 mph or so, pepper spray is not going to slow them down..." What a significant realization! I've always carried bear spray and 45 super in Yellowstone and other areas for black bear but your point is muy valid. Reaction time is crucial for survival. Seems like 9 lbs of prevention is the best form of insurance with this consideration in mind (1 in the tube and 8 on standby semi auto).
    I do remember a story of a backpacker in the San Juans whose backpack took the brunt of the cougars attempted bite to his neck. He still got mauled but survived the attack.

To answer the question, I'd recommend UDAP bear spray since I have used it on a bear and it worked well for me. Alot of folks swear by Counter Assault bear spray. Either one should be fine.

Note to Racine -- guns are illegal in Yellowstone, its pretty stupid to post on sites like this that you carry one in the Park.

Oopps! I should be specific. Bear spray in Yellowstone and 45super elsewhere that it's legal... Happy!? AFAIK it's only illegal in the park. I pack outside for the other kinds of animals. I should know this as I've been frisked everytime I'm fishing and camping(in the last 30 yrs).

+ Reply to Thread