+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Long and the Short of it(?)

Deezel Guest

Default The Long and the Short of it(?)

Okay! I just re-read a chapter about rods in the book, FLY FISHING HERESIES, by Wright. In that chapter he gives his very staunch opinion, along with specific reasons, why the 'long rod', by that he means a minimum of 9', is better suited to flowing water. Just wondering what the your opinion(s) is/are about Wright'sconclusion. Again, he was talking about fishing in water with currents.

Deezel

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Long and the Short of it(?)

Deezel,

I would agree that in most cases the longer rod is better for flowing water, with the exception of small streams.

I use two11 foot Sage rods, the XP and the Z-Axis in a 6 weight for fishing on the rivers of Washington, Montana and Wyoming. The extra length allows for a nice reach cast, and tossing in a mend is just a matter of flipping the wrist compared to using the whole arm as with a 9 foot rod.

Naturally, on small streams a 7?6? to 8? rod is all you usually need what with the brush and trees hanging over your head. Most casts are very short to allow maximum line control. A 9 foot or longer rod just gets in the way on those small mountain streams.

However, out in the flat lands, with a stream meandering through a meadow, I would see an advantage of a longer rod.

Larry
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Deezel,

Just because someone wrote a book, doesn't mean he/she knows more than you, or anyone of us, does about choosing equipment for our own fishing.

My only problem with the so called experts is that they apply their particular parameters to the 'specific reasons' why a certain type/weight/length of rod is better 'suited' for a particular application.

If you grant them that, then they tend to be somewhat accurate.

We can all be guilty of that, as Larry points out by stating "Naturally, on small streams a 7?6? to 8? rod is all you usually need what with the brush and trees hanging over your head".

For him, it's a natural fact that this is true, but I disagree and feel that a 9 foot or longer rod is better for that type of water. Both our reasons are valid and neither one of us is 'wrong', we just look at it differently.

It's all pretty subjective and truly matters little in the long run.

If you 'like' 6 1/2 foot rods, for whatever reason, you can easily fish them effectively in a current situation.

AND, if you 'like' 12 foot rods, you can easily fish with them on a small brush choked creek or stream.

I know that there are folks out there who only own one rod (don't understand that, but it happens). For them that rod, whatever it is, works jut fine for whatever type of fishing conditions they face.

No one should think that because they don't own a certain rod that they shouldn't fish in a particular palce.

If, like me and thousands of others, you are on the quest for that perfect rod for each situation that you face, forget the 'experts' and use what YOU decide is best for YOU.

So, while Mr. Wright probably believes that he is correct, the truth of the matter is that it's just an opinion based on his personal experience, and is no more valid for others than yours or Larry's or mine.

Expert= <ex spurt'>='ex' ='has been', 'spurt' = drip under pressure.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

4. Default Re: The Long and the Short of it(?)

Long rods definitely have the advantage for moving water. You can more easily nymph at a longer distance yet still maintain good contact with your rig. Also they are quite superior for small streams with heavy brush as long rods are great for bow casting.

I don't know where you guys fish, but the "small streams" I fish around here are a bit brush choked.
    Bushwackin' with a 9' rod is next to impossible
    A 6.5' rod is about all you can handle and a tough old glass stick is best

While I do agree that a long rod is best for nymph fishing, I prefer a midsized rod of 7.5 or 8" for fishing dries.
    In a different kind of current, the surf, I like an over sized rod of 10' for mending line over breaking waves
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Dudley,

I have no troubles 'bushwhacking' with a 9 foot rod.

Some of the small streams I fish are almost inaccessible, and 'bushwhacking' through thicketts and dense trees is the only way to get in.

I just take my time getting to the water, and then stay there until a fallen tree forces me out again. It's more about paying attention and going slow than it is about the length of the rod. If I can get 'me' in (I'm not a little feller), I can get any rod in.

AND, once I get there, the longer rod gives me better line control and 'reach' where casting is difficult.

However, I also fish the same waters with a 4 1/2 foot rod. Catch fish with both. I just 'prefer' the longer rod for efficiencies sake. I can make better presentations with it, more of them, and thus get the fly to more fish. I use the little short rod when the conditions are 'perfect' and I know I'll get plenty of fish on dries. The little rod is lots of fun to fish with.

It really is just a matter of preference and your own fishing style. What works well for me may not work well for you.

Part of what makes this so darn much fun.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Hey Deezle,

I started out fishing exclusively with long rods. Over the years, I have
    almost exclusively fished still waters. Over the years, my rods have gotten
    shorter and shorter by choice. The rods I now use range from 5' to 6 1/2
    foot and that is how I like it. My choice! Warm regards, Jim

I wouldn't think of fishing from a drift boat with anything less than 8'6" ~~ preferably 9'. On the other hand I love 7'6" and shorter rods for the fishing I do in the Sierras. All the more reasons to get more rods. Although I did have a 4'4" 4 wt bamboo rod once ~~ I never did find the right fishing for it.

I love the long rods. They just work really well for the way I fish. I love the way they let me handle line in the air and on the water.

I have three blanks to build this winter. All three are 10.5 feet long single handers.
    Your hooks sharp????

I never had a short rod until this summer, when I was given a 7'6". I happened to have a sore rotator cuff, so decided to try it to see if it would be any better than the 9' and it was decidedly easier on my shoulder, and I fished the Bighorn with it very successfully, and didn't see any difference in the way it mended. I also used my bamboo "banty" at 6' and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think it all amounts to the feel that you like, and each rod has a different personality.

+ Reply to Thread