Jim,

According to this chart, the 290 grain line would be closer to a 10wt line and the 330 grain line would be pushing the 11wt line. The Smallmouth rod handles 8wt line very well and the Sage line sent with the rod would really handle the much heavier bass poppers and heavier streamers better. I had to push the 8wt line a little with the much heavier flies, but, no pushing needed with the line sent with the rod. I think what I like the most about the Smallmouth rod is that the rod is very light "in the hand" and could be used all day with no problems. To me, it is like owning 2 rods in one. When I decide to hit the rivers with larger buggers, streamers, etc., I will use this rod with the 8wt line and when I want to hit the lakes or larger warm water rivers and throw the larger weight buggers, streamers or larger poppers/rat type flies, I will use the line that came with the rod. I will use the same reel and just have 2 spools (as soon as I locate another spool for the STH Cayuga M reel that I am using). This Smallmouth Bass rod is a very nice handling rod.

I found the following line weight chart through a "Search" on FAOL:

Finally, a fly rod is no different from a casting or spinning rod when it comes to casting. It is designed to load and cast with a specific amount of weight. The fly line number you refer to, correlates to a certain amount of weight, usually measured over the first 25 to 35 feet of fly line length. For future reference, here is the line rating to weight figures decided upon by AFTMA in the early 1960's.

2-weight - 80 grains/.183 ounce

3-weight - 100 grains/.229 ounce

4-weight - 120 grains/.274 ounce

5-weight - 140 grains/.320 ounce

6-weight - 160 grains/.366 ounce

7-weight - 185 grains/.423 ounce

8-weight - 220 grains/.503 ounce

9-weight - 250 grains/.571 ounce

10-weight - 300 grains/.686 ounce

11-weight - 350 grains/.800 ounce

12-weight - 400 grains/.914 ounce
~ Tom Kirkman