+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Think?

Blog Entries

Default What Do You Think?

I have been wondering lately as to which is more fatiguing, Spin fishing or fly fishing....

Theres a lot of variables involved here so lets narrow those down.

Say this was the equipment you were using.

Spin fishing: light action rod, small reel, 2-4lb test line. Actively Working crappie jigs and lures for trout.

Fly fishing: 3-4weight, appropriate reel. Actively drifting nymphs, small streamers, and dries. Distance of cast: 30 or so ft.

Now which would you consider more fatiguing?

lets hear your opinions!
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Glenmoore, PA, on the banks of the East Brandywine Creek

Default Re: What Do You Think?

When you consider that you are going to false cast 2-4x when throwing dry flies for every one time you cast a spinning rod, I would definitely say that fly fishing drys is more fatiguing. Nymphing may be another story. A roll cast here and there isn't as much work, so I would call it a tie with using a spinning rod. Streamers...don't know, too much work for me. I always figured that if I had to retrieve a fly like that I might as well use a spinning rod.

I'm sure a lot of hardware tossers do it, to some degree, but I very seldom see spin fishermen wading a stream for miles, let alone, standing in mid-stream, holding against the current on the legs, working a single rising fish. (until possibly landed, or given up on).
    Add, that, to the false casting, roll casting, mending the line formula and I'd opt for the fly fishermen to be more fatigued by the end of the day.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Normand Guest

without a time limit, neither one is fatiguing.

Spin Fishing

1. Still Fishing, Casting from the shore and letting the bait sit on the bottom, then sit on your lawn chair, hardly fatiguing!

2. Casting lures over and over, being careful not to get snagged, can get tiring (fatiguing).

Fly Fishing

1. If Fly Fishing ever gets fatiguing, then it's time to switch to golf! Fly Fishing is relaxing!

Spin Fishing is boring to me, Fly Fishing is interesting.

Doug P.S. This is who I'm bringing to Thanksgiving!
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Well, since I do both and have done both wading, on lakes, reservoirs, anywhere I find fish, I cannot really say one is more fatiguing than the other. Maybe some more research is called for,, next thursday going to Flaming Gorge, will research this issue to my fullest ability.
    Wyo-Blizzard

MMM it fishing, fishing is relaxing, work is fatiguing, rather if you fly fishing or useing a spinning out fit. It fishing and there nothing about fishing that is Fatiguing.
    Ghost
    PS if it is your not doing it right.

Assuming all other conditions, including environmental, are the same, I see no difference based on my experience. Much of the work involved is the casting. With good casting mechanics, most people will not tire. I have fished from dawn to dusk with both fly and spin gear and not tired in the arms, shoulders and upper body. My feet and legs tire first and that is independent of the gear used.

Work is fatiguing, running on a treadmill because my doctor said I need to is fatiguing. Fishing is not fatiguing.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

10. Default Re: What Do You Think?

Quote Originally Posted by PAangler
    When you consider that you are going to false cast 2-4x when throwing dry flies for every one time you cast a spinning rod, I would definitely say that fly fishing drys is more fatiguing. Nymphing may be another story. A roll cast here and there isn't as much work, so I would call it a tie with using a spinning rod. Streamers...don't know, too much work for me. I always figured that if I had to retrieve a fly like that I might as well use a spinning rod.
    Not sure what kind of nymphing you are doing or what kind of water your doing it in but when fishing moving water I'm making anywhere from 10 to 30 casts a minute depending on the rate of the flow and the length of the drift. I assume you were talking about still water?

+ Reply to Thread