+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Finest Components"

Default "Finest Components"

Could somebody please define the phrase "finest components" for me? Just when I think I know what it means I see a rod on fleabay described as possessing the "finest components" ~~ and I know that there are "finer components" out there. What does "finest components" mean? Most expensive? Best value? What does the phrase "finest components" mean to you?

Default Re: "Finest Components"

I also have seen this a million places, Rev Rob, and 99% of the time it means absolutely "zip" to me!
    If a rod manufacturer won't, or doesn't, list its rod components by name, (i.e. Struble, etc.), then I generally take that to mean something like............. "The finest components we could afford to use, and still keep the price down, although we know they're not the best"!

And, most of all, "Finest" compared to "what"? "Finest components" based solely on their own opinion?
    In advertising anymore, it's actually funny to see that everyone that manufactures or promotes practically anything, from fly rods to shoes, "Has the finest, best, most superior, unequaled, top of the line", of whatever point they're trying to make.

Basically, if "Company A", claims to make their rods with "The finest components available" and "Company B", claims the exact same thing, and considering they're each using different components............. then who's lying about their product, if it's not based solely on their own opinion?

I'd say it's best to take "Finest Components", with a grain of "The Finest Salt available".
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I really recommend you ask the person who posted that, and ask him how he can back up the claim or is it just pure BS?

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Rob
    Could somebody please define the phrase "finest components" for me? Just when I think I know what it means I see a rod on fleabay described as possessing the "finest components" ~~ and I know that there are "finer components" out there. What does "finest components" mean? Most expensive? Best value? What does the phrase "finest components" mean to you?
    What is "fleabay"? Hard to tell with the written word but do I detect a bit of bias here against the place where you found the items? Explicative such as " top of the line, finest, best quality" do have physical properties but are mostly based on perception. My perception of the world is not the same as yours. Therefore what is quality to one may not be so to the other. If it does not fit your notion of quality then do not buy it. The widget could be made of solid gold but if it doesn't widget well you would say that it was of poor quality as far as widgets go wouldn't you? It may have value because of the the material it is made of but that is another thing.

Blog Entries

On Ebay there is a section whereby you can question the seller. I have done this a few times with mixed results. If the answer is not to your liking give the product a wide berth. Ebay is a public company and the buyer should always beware.

As always Jim should you or any of your IM force be killed or captured the Secretary will dissavow any knowlege of your actions.

This post will self destruct in 5 seconds. Unless it was purchased on ebay and is defective.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

I'm with flybinder on this one. Unless you see a description like: "Sage, blank with REC titanium guides, flor grade grip and Struble reel seat," then it's pretty much hype to suck in the uneducated. After all, it is often the uneducated who get caught up in the bidding wars, where items often go for more than suggested retail. Yes, "Finest Components" is very subjective and frequently misleading.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Finest means just that, the best.
    It should function perfectly for a long time and be cosmetically pleasing.
    Here's an example of 'the finest' chunk of cork I've ever seen:

Think of it as entering an eatery that advertises the finest food and leaving with food poisoning.

Tim

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Panman
    Think of it as entering an eatery that advertises the finest food and leaving with food poisoning.

Tim
    There is a truck stop on I-80 at Emlenton, Pennsylvania that advertises, on a big billboard, "Home of the worst apple pie in America". They are delicious and they cannot bake them fast enough to satisfy all the customers that came in because of the sign.

I actually think there's NO definitive answer to this question. Just because "name" brands are stated is not an accurate way of assuming quality. All it proves is that advertising works. The mentioning of name brands also answers some anticipated questions but a leap from that to the assumption/conclusion of quality is purely subjective. If there is no standard of perfection against which something could be measured , all is opinion. There are standards and accepted standards. The former is like the Bureau of Weights and Measures and is indisputable. The latter is accepted by a preponderance of respected professional opinions in a specific field, more merit but still not indisputable.
    I remember as a small boy, just having come from Escanaba MI to Chicago, I saw an ad " Silvercup IS the BEST bread". I told my mother about that ad for FEAR she might not see it and buy a brand which was NOT the "best".

Mark

+ Reply to Thread