+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tactics

Default Re: Tactics

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman
    Courtesy point is a good one....however for this post he did say....

"(you are the angler in this photo)".....[see original post]
    My though process followed this same logic. M y very first thought was "I'm 15 ft. down from the angler..." I walke about 40-50 yds away from him on HIS side of the stream because it is a lower elevation and start fishing about 4 holes up from him to give him room to work up to me and leep frog.

Then I reasoned out the meaning (You are the angler and you approach from 15 ft. down from the LOCATION of the angler in the picture).

Also, my second thought (being a Rocky Mt. born angler) was that I'd be at home because the water is too chalky to fish. Since living in the flat land, I've been really surprised at how well fish can see in murky water like this. This is just a good opportunity to use a little bit larger fly. There is NO way I'd walk past this and not fish it. If it is not clear enough, then what have you waisted? 2 minutes? It wouldn't take long to drop a few flies here and cover just about every possible lie.
    Leave No Trace

That outside bend must have an undercut bank. Likely has a big boy hiding under there. get on my knees, and Drop a big Casual Dress a couple yards up stream of the purple flowers and let it ride.

If I were that angler, and had not reached that spot...was 15 feet downstream, I would sit back and watch for a few mins....the spot looks too good to rush. The creek made a bend. I would fish along the left side, if there was an undercut, from 15 ft back, up to just below the eddy. Then I would probably start my casting from there (15 back), to the lower end of the run, at the outside of the bend first, then the inside. I would work my way upstream to the faster water, working both sides of the seam.

Then when I hooked a fish, I would try to keep it from getting upstream and spooking any other fish....then I would lose him and spook the rest of the fish by kicking my feet and cussing out loud...
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Blog Entries

Gosh. When is the teacher gonna get around to grading the papers?

Ed

Blog Entries

water is dirty...

water has brookies and browns...\

angler caught small brookie against bank with size 10 black bugger downstream slightly..

water infront of angler is shallow...

he casted directly into the top of the fast water and a decent brown took it at the step drop at the end of the fast water....size 10 black beadheaded bugger.
    When you arise in the morning, think of what a
    precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think,
    to enjoy, to love.
    - Marcus Aurelius

i would fish it casting up stream and strip down, also fish it from both sides, providing that iam the fisherman in the pic. Now if i was walking up to this hole with another fisherman already there. I would say hi ask how's he doing and then give him a wide berth and fish elsewere.
    Catch and Release So Others Can Enjoy Them

+ Reply to Thread