+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tactics

Blog Entries

Default Tactics

You come up on this hole from downstream.

What is the first thing you do?

What is going through your mind when you are 15 yards downstream of this angler and walking up on this hole?

(you are the angler in this photo)

When you arise in the morning, think of what a
    precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think,
    to enjoy, to love.
    - Marcus Aurelius

Default Re: Tactics

To me the most important thing to remember on a stream this small is sealthability. I'd sit back on heels for a few minutes to observe any rising trout. That is the FIRST thing I'd do.

After the observation, I'd be crouched down on my approach until I was about 10 ft from the water's edge, then its hands and knees. Now, the picture looks like it is overcast, so that helps a little and I would't be concerned with casting my shadow on the water or spooking em with a false cast. Also, the water appears to be pretty chalky, probably had a decent rain that morning or the night before and the overcast clouds are still lingering from it. I'd take the few minutes to cast to each undercutt bank and maybe one or two casts into the middle of the slower bottom section to keep any small fry who was pushed out of the prime water, from spooking the bigger fish upstream. If you can get the trailer out of the way, then you can focus on the better water where the better fish will be.

I'll bet that any fish caught out of this hole were right in or just after the riffles or underneath the bank the photographer is standin on, on a small (the blue flowers and long sleeve shirt indicate spring time) BWO or possibly an Adams/para adams with a PTN, HEN or other may fly or nymph as the dropper about 18" below the dry. If not, that's what I'd use.
    Leave No Trace

WOW! I really like these threads with the pics and then "what would YOU do?" scenarios.
    I'm new to fly fishing and these are really helping me get a better idea on how to do it. As for me, what would I do? Previously I would just walk right up to the bank and start casting and then in a few minutes get frustrated because I haven't gotten any bites and probably change flies. After a few more minutes I would probably move on to a different spot.

Now, however, after reading this, and several other threads, I know to be a bit more stealthy and read the water before scaring the fish away and making an *** of myself!

Blog Entries

well, im a warm water flyfisher but im betting there would be fish in the far left, and/or the bottom left. thats where im guessing the fish would spend the most of there time, but they could be pretty much anywhere in the hole

Looks like some of my home waters.

I stay out of the water and fish a nymph slowly on a fairly short line. I'd work the inside seam first (where the the fast and slower water meet on the angler's side) and then the faster water and the outside bank. I'd work my way upstream with the same pattern. I'd pay particular attention to the fast / slow seams and eddys at the head of the pool and to where the riffle drops into the pool. I'd make sure to gets a few casts well up into the riffle so my nymph would be deep as it tumbles into the pool.

Anybody concerned about the clarity of the water lower in the picture...in front of the fisherman?...ignore it????...fish it ????

Quote Originally Posted by spinner1

What is going through your mind when you are 15 yards downstream of this angler and walking up on this hole?

(you are the angler in this photo)

I suspect the biggest fish in the pool would be laying up there on the right, waiting for food as it comes around the corner. I would cast upstream, letting the fly lay still or slowly stripping it, staying out of the fast water.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Blog Entries

I am 15 yards downstream of this angler so Its his pool cause he is at it and I am not. So I have no right to fish it. Also Its a bit hard to tell from the picture but it almost looks like the fast water coming into the pool is clearer than the water in the pool . In that case I would meander up stream and fish the clearer water in the next pool at the top of the picture.

You have created a paradox because I cannot be the angler in the picture and 15 yards downstream of him.

I would never be that angler because he has scared all the fish away by walking right up to the edge of it . In a small stream like that one He should be casting at least 20 feet back of where he is.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

I'm glad to see Gnu Bee's post, I thought all common curtoisy was gone! I agree that the proper action in this situation is tip your hat and stay clear of the hole. Then find a place that has not been disturbed.

Courtesy point is a good one....however for this post he did say....

"(you are the angler in this photo)".....[see original post]

+ Reply to Thread