+ Reply to Thread

Thread: S-A GPX on a Sage Z-Axis?

Default S-A GPX on a Sage Z-Axis?

How many of you people that fish with a Z-Axis have fished a S-A Mastery GPX line and thought that it was a little bit overlined? I tend to notice a little bit of springback on my casts. Is it me or my casting style? Is there something I should do differently to get it not to springback?
    Thanks,

Rich

Blog Entries

Default Re: S-A GPX on a Sage Z-Axis?

Well,,,The GPX is a half a line size heavier. The SA 'trout' line has been recommended for the Z-axis.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Wow, very discerning of you. Yup, 1/2 size heavier. Rio is good, SA shark 'Ultimate Trout' or the 'Trout', Wulff TT is good too. Actually, almost any quality WF or DT in the proper weight should cast well.

I fish that combo in 6wt and haven't been anything but pleased. I'm not a particularly accomplished caster, though.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by springback, but I too think the Rio Grand/GPX exposes technique flaws pretty badly with that heavy short head. Yeh Im just a little heavy handed LOL

The best allround line for the Z-Axis and ZXL is the RIO Gold (try it on Winston Boron's too). After all if you think about ownership, Rio being part of the "family" with Sage and Redington there was a lot of design smarts focussing on the Z-Axis and ZXL, and the best line for these.

It makes my ZAxis come alive, really changed my opinion of the rod after throwing Grands on it. Ive been fishing it a lot.

Long belly, (not as long as the SA) good roll caster, all around very very nice

Cheers
    Steve

Two months ago I would have said the GPX was matched very well with the Z-Axis and probably a "best fit".

Today I tell you go with the new Shark Skin.

Max
    Max

Tip bounce, or spring back, is often a sign that you are overpowering your rod (I know only because I am often guilty of this myself). When it happens I have to remind myself to back off and let the rod do the work.

The GPX was designed to load faster rods like the Z-axis and should be a good match.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Thanks for the replies folks.
    I used to fish a Sage Launch that was a tad bit heavier and that may be the culprit. I may be overpowering the forward stroke somewhat. I am not really looking for a "buy it" answer. I was just curious if it may be my stroke or was it something inherent of the Z-Axis rod with that combo. I guess I got used to the heavier rod and used a little more power than is needed with the newer lighter rod.

I'll try to lighten up and see what happens.

Thanks again,

Rich

I use SA GPX on my 6 wt Z-Axis and like the way it loads. It works best if you don't overload the rod by applying a lot of force early on in the casting stroke. I find a progessive application of the casting stroke gives you a smoother storage and release of power.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread