+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Part of the Catch!

Default Favorite Part of the Catch!

Hello all,

Under the biggest fish for a 4wt, two very good points were brought up that got me thinking. What's your favorite part of the catch. What's the part you feel is most exciting, which part keeps you coming back to the sport. As with most fun subjects like this, there is no right or wrong answer. I value everyone's perspective, and I hope everyone who wants to, joins in.

For me, it's the micro seconds before the take, and the micro seconds after the take when the fish feels the pressure from the hook and decides to fight the unnatural feeling with everything it has. It's that surreal connection to the fish I like most. The harder it becomes to attain that feeling, the more I like it. I'll spend an hour fishing to a fish that refuses my fly in search of that first connection. That connection that is validation for the hard work I've put in.

------------------
    Jude
    Small flies work best. Elephants eat peanuts.
    www.customflys.com

The take.

Allan

the catch??

I just like being on the water...
    but the take
    the fight
    the sight
    the release...

tough chose!!

Jude,

The thing that keeps me coming back actually isn't the fishing. It's being out there on the river.

I'll often spend the whole day on the bank while the family fishes. I won't even string up a rod.

It's coffee with the wardens while we watch junior going after a lunker on an upstream dry.

It's pointing some newcomers to a nice lie where a dozen salmon are lazing in the current.

It's that 20 ounce T-Bone on an open grill over a birch wood fire just after sunset.

It's sitting by the river listening for rises.

If you mean, what keeps me FISHING, well, ... my favourite part is laying out an upstream dry on a long leader (big bushy Bomber or Brown Bird). Letting it drift down gently in a medium flow. ... Splashy take, lift the rod slightly, wait, wait, wait ... Set the hook. In that last second, the fly will either come flying back towards me (missed), or, Shloop, the line lifts out of the water and the weight of the fish settles into the rod.

Hanging on like this for 45 minutes gets a bit tedious

my 0.02$

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 18 February 2005).]

Christopher Chin

Watching my 12 year old throw a prettier loop than I have been able to attain in 30 some years. kev

I love the take. But I love that feeling when I leave work in the afternoon knowing that I'm on my way to the creek.

And I absolutely love in my lakeside campsite on an Adirondack lake after fishing all day and seeing a big one jump right in front of me. If it had a thumb and a nose, it would be using them. Cracks me up every time.

Diane
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

The anticipation.

The grab!

The first run of some saltwater fish

The feast - I love fresh fish. Fresh sashimi or braised ahi with avocado slices and a cold beer. Yum. Or maybe some crappie fillets and a bowl of steaming chili on a crisp spring evening.

Fellowship ... and solitude.

And sometimes just sitting on a rock by the river, rod in hand, never even bothering to make a cast, and just watching trout be trout, bugs hatch, birds swoop by, an otter flit about on the periphery of my vision. Fishing opened up an entire world of exploration that I hadn't noticed before.

And JC, I would never lie afterwords. I may mis-remember things. I am convinced fishing causes memory problems. My wife didn't have any until she married me and took up flyfishing

[This message has been edited by tailingloop (edited 18 February 2005).]

Diane,

Happen to us ALL the time. Seems that we can be on a pool for an hour, ... nothing. Just when we spool up to have a coffee, they start rising all around.

So, the trout REALLY do see us and know what we are trying to do

I love that feeling when I leave work in the afternoon knowing that I'm on my way to the creek
    Ain't that right. I think I can spot the ff's on the road here friday afternoons, ... their the ones smiling from ear to ear 'cause they know their getting out on the water that evening.

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec

Christopher Chin

The take.

The Adrenaline rush from when I first see the fish eyeing the fly until I feel the first throb of a fish on, or the slack of a missed take/refusal.

Don
    Don Rolfson

+ Reply to Thread