+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Results of Bahamas Bonefish trip, no pics

Default Results of Bahamas Bonefish trip, no pics

Well, my first bonefishing trip to the Bahamas was almost a complete sucess. The last night my wife and I were at the bar the sand flies came out and hammerd us, and also, the following morning. The other bad thing is they stole my camera on my checked bag so I have no pics. My wife had to go to the doctors office to get medicine for the bug bites, she had a reaction. I guess I have to find a partner for my next trip down south.

I caught five bonefish the first day around 8 lbs. and a 3' lemon shark. One was into the backing. The second day I caught 8, 8-12 lbs, all the bigs ones ran into the mangroves and broke my line. Man, I loved catching them, they really run. Around the fifth fish on the second day my bass pro reel drag locked up on a run. I need to get a better reel for my next trip. My wife reeled in 3 on spincast gear, actually only 2, a shark got one.

I can't wait to go back. We stayed on Long Island at Cape Santa Maria

Default Re: Results of Bahamas Bonefish trip, no pics

Congrats on the fish. Sounds like a great trip?except for the camera and bug part, but those were some great fish. What flies/sizes did they eat?

peregrines

JK. thanks for the report. 8 - 12lbs are great Bonz. Eleuthera has smaller fish and I have never had a fly problem. Take some bounce sheets and pin them on her Hat and collar, that should do the trick. I hope she enjoyed the trip other than that.

Philip
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

I was using a tan over white #4 w/pearl flash clouser on the first day, with pink head, and then the second day I had another clouser on and lost 3 of the same clousers and went to #2 gotcha's w/tan wing. I caught the shark on a 5" blue over white half and half.

The first day we found a school of 100 bonefish, and the second day we were into a school of over 200. If you go there I reccommend Bert as a guide. He works at Cape santa Maria.

I'm always so pleased to read a nice recommendation for guides and successful trips,
    thanks so much for the information!

Your Welcome, Happy Hoildays

Hello there,

I am a new active member on this website although I have been reading for quite a while. I am from Qu?bec and also a salmon fisherman maniac. Have fished salmon in Qu?bec, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, so far...

I am thinking about a first fishing trip to salwater particularly Long Island-Bahamas. Your account surely has raised some interest.

The manager of the resort I stayed at said the fishing is good all year around. April-May are the best months for stable weather. An 8wt. and 9 wt. is fine however if a bigger tarpon cruises by you may be undergunned, maybe not. On the northern part of the Island the fish are bigger 8lb.s plus, I saw plenty of 12 lbs bonefish. The one day we found a school of 100. Day 2 was a scholl of 200. If you go to Deadmans Cay My guide tiold me the fish are smaller but there is more of them, and from what I'm reading the wading is better. There is a small wading area right at the Cape Santa Maria resort. I saw a school of tailing bonefish on day one but my wife and I were kayaking and by the time I got my rod they left. In hindsight, I would have stalked them, like we did on day 3 and 4. One guy caught 6 there the same day I caught 8 when I was with the guide. I had floating and sinking line, there again it depends where you go. You'll need a sinking line to fish for reef fish. I would take a stripping basket with next time, because I was always getting it stuck in the rocks.

My resort had deet. I also read that garlic tablets may work for the bugs. Take some permit crabs flys also. You may get a shot. I didn't see any. Buccanneertravel has a package for Deadmans Cay you may want to check out.

Later

Quote Originally Posted by jkilroy
    The manager of the resort I stayed at said the fishing is good all year around. April-May are the best months for stable weather. ......Later
    Thank you very much for the info. Have been informed that all my questions might somewhat detract from your original post and therefore, I have taken the decision to displace my concerns.

Sorry for the inconvenient and again, thank you.

+ Reply to Thread