+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is the name of this fly?

Default What is the name of this fly?

I was given this fly. I know that I have seen it before some where. What is the name or names of it?

tail is deer hair
    wing is mottled turkey tail feathers
    hackle is a brown (or maybe a furnace) plus a natural grizzley hackle.
    dB
    Sanitize your FF equipment and wash your boat, trailer, livewells & sumps. Wash your wading dog

Blog Entries

Default Re: What is the name of this fly?

I think it is a variation of the Henryville Caddis.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Except for the added tail, it looks an awful lot, like the "King River Caddis" By Jason Akl ??
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by flybinder
    Except for the added tail, it looks an awful lot, like the "King River Caddis" By Jason Akl ??
    The body is all deer hair used for the tail with a partial wrapping of thread. You can not see the body as the quill wings totally cover the body. There are two pieces of quill. One on each side.

But yes, it has a very similar profile.

After doing a google search I, also, think it looks like a variant of the Henryville Caddis.
    dB
    Sanitize your FF equipment and wash your boat, trailer, livewells & sumps. Wash your wading dog

Normand Guest

a henryville caddis is generally tied with an olive body palmered by grizzly hackle. the wings are gray duck or goose quill.the front hackle is brown.

This is the Henryville Caddis; http://www.flyfishusa.com/flies/cadd...ville%20Caddis The wings are not the same as the Kings River.
    There are a FEW Caddis Patterns here!; http://www.ultimateflytying.com/Caddis.htm
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Okie-Smokie, Doug, Ya' got me!
    I was going on "variation", not particular materials, thus, the King's River suggestion. But, YOU BE RIGHT!! Looks more and more like the H. Caddis. Except, as been pointed out, this fly he's trying to name doesn't have the palmered hackle on the body, like the Henry's fly pattern has!?! Maybe, I'll just retire in shame and go oil my Pocket Popeil 3wt.
    Paul
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Henryville uses Duck Quill & Kings uses Turkey. Don't be sad, you didn't do anything wrong!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Notice the elongated triple hackle. An Early Stone Fly it is too me.
    Max

+ Reply to Thread