I've never built a rod but have been lurking here for a little while and also reading the tutorial and other info by Al Campbel and I have a few questions.

I have two sons and would like to build them both their first rods (graphite). I've got the time because one is only 16 mos. old and the other is only 2.5 months old. Anyway, I'd really like to personalize these rods and really make them special for my boys. One thing I'd like to do is have a little pin-striping put on them. I have a buddy who does an incredible job of pin-striping, but mostly on hot rods. I'm thinking more along the lines of a slow rolling, vine-style. Similar to what you might see engraved on a rifle barrell or the hard wear on the reel seat of the collector's edition of the Orvis Mitey Mite. Does this sound like it would be do-able? Is there anything I could have him put on it (like a clear coat of something) to protect the work--I was thinking the same finisher used for the thread wraps, but I don't know if that would add too much weight or cause an unbalanced rod. I'm not thinking of it on the whole blank, just the bottom section.

My second question is concerning the thread wraps. I've never seen this on anyother rods, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to add a "rib." Just like wrapping tinsel as a rib on a fly, would that be possible on the thread wraps of a rod to add a little flash? I'm thinking it could be done by laying the tinsel down flat (shiny side down) and wrapping the thread over it to secure it, then wrapping the thread on the guides and ribbing the tinsel over it. Would this be possible?

Thanks in advance for your input and sorry if these are dumb questions, I just know exactly what I want and I'm not sure if its possible.