Hi there,

My fishing pals have been scouting out new places to get into some speckled trout but the trecking into them is straight through the woods until you hit water. One of them has a GPS and has been plotting the new spots this fall after the leaves have come off the trees but he is the only one with a GPS, which is OK if I am fishing with him, not so good if I am not. We hit the lower sections of this same stream this past July and the fishing was absolutely fabulous, caught and released 26 trout all 12-16 inches in just over two hours. This place is extremely remote, only a couple of woods roads and one wrong turn will put you into complete "lostness" in about 40 feet. I used the compass quite diligently last year, didnt stray too far from the stream and kept close eye on how the stream was turning in relation to the way the road had been running (logging road that is straight as a gun barrel at this part, I only traversed about 1 km of stream) but am thinking about upgrading to a GPS so I could mark the spots a little better, keep track of the road and how far I am away. How many of you have these little devices, do they work well for you and which model do you have? What should I look for in terms of features? There are a pile of them out there from basic to ones that I think make toast. My friend has an Explorist 200 and I would like to get one and learn to use it before next season hits.

Any suggestions?

Dwight