ok, i saw something a loooooong time ago, and i just remembered about it and ahve been thinking, and would like to make a fly that imitates this.
before i started flyfishing and was just a baitcaster, one time i decided id try to use a frog as bait. i hooked it through the legs and cast out as i was told, so that the frog would still be alive and so it would still have the action. i did that for a few minutes but i started to feel kind of bad. as i put it, (my dad was teaching me this) i was literally "casting its soul away". so after a little bit, i didnt get any fish, so i let it go. so as i let it go, it tried to swim away, but slowly started to sink. it tried to kick back up to the surface and got a little ways, but then just started sinking back down again. it got a little ways from the boat doing this for about 10 feet, and then some big ol bass came and inhaled it.
so basically, im trying to create a fly that does this action. pretty much the action of a drowning frog. (just about the exact opposite movement of a dahlburg diver). so im thinking what im going to do, is pretty much make some deerhair creation, but with lead weight unless i can think of something else, and im just having a hard time coming up with the head shape that wil recreate this action. im hoping for a shape, that with the lead weight, will make it slowly sink, and when you strip it, it will wiggle and come UP to the surface, then sink back down. i dont know of any bass baits or flies that do this but if you do, leaving any info would be much appreciated.
thanks for any help