I think most people need to shift gears when it comes to the scents. Its not putting something on to attract the fish...its not putting something on that will scare them away. There are plenty of folks out there that throw sunscreen on, and then tie on a fly. Those oils stay on your hand for some time and it also gets on the fly. That scent is certainly prevalent in the stream for a handful of casts, and I don't know how many mayfly nymphs are worried about UV ratings...so you can be sure that this is a huge turn off for trout. The same can be said about stepping in oily puddles while wearing your felt. I swear that will spook half the stream right from the moment you set foot in it. If I were to use any scent intentionally it wouldn't be to get that scent on the fly, it would be to get my scent off of it. That being said...I don't use scents, but i'm extremely careful about how much of myself I get on there.

It is a ridiculous concept though?why would a nymph smell like a shrimp, or anything other than what it is?