+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shadow Box Plans

Default Shadow Box Plans

Anyone have plans on how to make one of those cool shadow boxes with a picture and a fly in it? Thanks

------------------
    [url=http://dryfly.argodesignstudio.com:dc9d9]http://dryfly.argodesignstudio.com[/url:dc9d9]

hiya. do you mean the woodworking plan? if so, you can just make a box by 45deg beveling the corners of four pieces 1/4" thick wood that's about 2" wide and whatever lengths and you can cut 1/4" rabbets along one edge of each to make room for a back board. A little wood glue and you're good to go. I'd get fancy and put in contrasting wood keys into the corners, too, but i'm guessing there's more to one of them than that.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

The latest issue of fly tyer magazine has a layout about shadow box/fly framing.

Yes I'm looking for wood working plans. I understand the mechanics of a box and 45 degree angles but I'm new to wood working and would need more descriptions. I think I know what you mean by "rabbets" and "wood keys" but I don't know what tools I need and how to set it all up. I also saw the description in Fly Tier and it was helpful for matting and spacing but it didn't get into the actual wood working. Thanks

Heres one I built for a knife from some baseboard wood from Lowes...

[This message has been edited by dleo6446 (edited 15 July 2005).]

7star,

You can buy ready made shadow
    boxes at most craft stores.

If you live in the Rochester
    area, try JoAnn Fabrics,
    Michael's or the like.

------------------
    **MW**

7star, you could buy or get from the library a book about how to make boxes out of wood. Woodworking stores typically sell several such books and they're available from major booksellers, too. Some of them will walk you through step by step from tools needed through material selection, construction, and finishing. That's how I've learned most of what I know about woodworking. Have fun!
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

For streamers, nymphs, wets and such, I use a store bought frame and cut a window matt with two windows sized to suit. Unless you have experience and the tools to cut matts it is easier to just go to any good custom frame shop. A good one will work with you in choice of matt, frame and will cut the matt to suite. I hold the fly in place with a band of fine tippet looped over the shank of the hook and run through two pinholes in the backing matt board, and then tied in place.
    AgMD

+ Reply to Thread