+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strange?

Justice League Guest

Default Strange?

Ok let us have some fun here what is the strangest thing you have ever seen while fly fishing?

Here is mine I once saw a man fishing in the middle of the river wearing all the normal fishing stuff the strange thing was he was wearing clown makeup

I just waved and kept walking

Jason

Default Re: Strange?

A Steven King book just came to mind! I'd keep walking too!!!

I don't think I can beat that one!!
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

3. Default Re: Strange?

I once saw a girl fishing topless...nothing but waders and a mesh fishing vest.

Stange? Maybe...Awe inspiring? Without a doubt!

I saw a bunch of clowns spin fishing in flys only once.

Godspeed

Bob

If strange includes funny then - from "You Can't Make a Living Tying Flies"

"Another Chuck story that I had forgotten until he reminded me of
    it the other day.
    Now Chuck thought so much of hot shotting and being of good
    intelligence and adventurous spirit, he decided to invent a new method.
    He had seen people use float tubes on lakes and even some more
    adventurous souls use them for transportation on the river. But what
    about hot shotting? Could they be of use there?
    So Chuck got a float tube, fashioned a rod holder on it, secured
    two ping pong paddles with cord to the side handles, grabbed a spinning
    rod and set off downstream from Cabin 1 saying, ?I?m going where the big
    ones are!? Considering the air was 34 degrees just like the water this was
    going to be an adventure.
    Next time we saw Chuck, sans rod, hat, and a little pride, he was
    heading back for the cabin. Turns out, as he proceeded down river to just
    above a likely looking hole and tied a line to a accommodating bush and
    waded out into the current. Needless to say the current had its way with
    him. We rarely ever mention this foray to Chuck. Right!"

Godspeed,

Bob

Blog Entries

My wife and I were out in our 25ft cabin cruiser, trolling bucktails on Okanagan lake early in the morning . When out of the fog came a 19ft open boat trolling slowly by. It was probably no more than 30 feet from us. The fellow in the back steering the kicker was shouting at his wife to quit doing that because she was scaring all the fish. She was thumping loudly up and down, up and down, up and down climbing a set of those exercise stairs . She yelled an obsenity back at him and retorted. Yea? Well screw you buddy! I told you I had to exercise, let the $%^(*&ing fish wait. As they dissapeared once again into the morning fog, We laughed almost till we were ill. In the distance we heard the woman yell back at us Yea well Screw you too!

Certainly made our my day.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Maybe it's "A movement"!? Because I've also met a young lady, in "Birthday suit attire", while fishing the Nehalem River summer before or last!?

Wading in hip boots, wading staff, and light cotton LL Bean's vest. Orvis rod and an Abel TR2 reel. About 22 to 20 something, years old I'd guess-ta-mate. Yes, I noticed the details of her "fishing gear", because as I sat on a large, flat, rock to re-tie a tippet she came out of the water, walked over and sat down 3 feet away to talk.

She struck up the usual "fly fisherman's conversation", about bugs on the water at that time of day, the trouble she'd been having with the currents and mending her line just right, etc. Quite a nice, young lady, very pretty red head, exceptional figure and also was very well versed in the sport, but evidently "liked to fish lightly dressed"!?!
    After our exchange, she walked off, upstream and I sat for a while longer, getting my tongue un-knotted out of the double surgeon's knot, between my leader and tippet I'd tied while we talked.

The only other instance of "oddities on the water", I've seen perhaps, "funnier" as opposed to "shocking", was one time on the lake near me, while a couple of us were belly boating for largemouth.
    We saw a man on shore drive in and park, unload his U-boat, then inflate another much smaller nylon covered inner tube and commence strapping the smaller one, to his U-boat.

Once both inflatables were in the water, he took a small self contained outboard from his truck and mounted it inside some sort of transom set up in the smaller tube. He got in, pulled the cord on the little putt-putt and off her went, heading down the lake!!

It was quite the strange site, considering the "aqua-dynamics" of a U-boat, coupled with the round shape of the tube for the motor, plus he was also obviously dragging his legs underwater!?! NOT, to mention, the way he'd set this whole "rig" up.............. he naturally traveled backwards, under power, too!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Different days at East Lake in Central Oregon.

1. Wife & I took her Sister out Float Tubing for the first time. She had a great time and even caught some fish!, THEN, when all 3 of us got to the shore, at the end of the day, I FORGOT to warn her NOT to try and walk forward with her Flippers. Becky went face first, right into the Lake! We laughed for the rest of the day!

2. The Game Warden almost ran over me in my Float Tube (he wasn't looking where he was going)

3. My Son hooked and landed a 30 inch Brown on a size 16 nymph.

4. Periodically I would catch small Chub and I started feeding them to the Gulls. I pulled in a BIG Chub and I said "Watch This!" I threw the Chub toward a Gull, he somehow swallowed it, then he couldn't take off!!

5. My Son got snagged after telling me he had a fish on. I took his GL3 and reefed, pulled as hard as I could! It finally broke loose and WOW! here comes the biggest pile of weeds I had ever seen! And there was a Rainbow in it too!

Two Days at Paulina Lake (close to East Lake)

My Brother lost one of my Rods overboard and by a miracle, I caught the Rod and I will NEVER forget the JOY of watching that Rod come up from the bottom!! I screamed with happiness at the same moment a couple in a boat went by.

We were trolling flies with spinning gear (not my idea!) and a Rainbow Trout zoomed past our boat and took my fly about 30 ft. away! It was an amazing moment!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

east lake and paulina lake those are some awesome waters with scenery to match. You are blessed to live close enough to fish them

Just this past summer, I saw a guy standing in the river completely buck naked...with a fish on, no less.
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

+ Reply to Thread