+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tongariro.

Default Tongariro.

Spent the last few days fishing the Tongariro and Wanganui rivers with Gringo from Australia who contacted me through this site and we organized a trip together. The fishing was good, I stopped counting but there were lots of good fish and good times. I think Chris (Gringo) may have found it a bit different to what he was used to, the Tongariro is fairly unique in needing long leaders and big heavy nymphs which when combined with a good breeze can be very interesting.
    Chris managed a good recovering fish on the dry fly on Sunday evening just on dark. I estimated the fish at about 22 inches and it gave him a good fight, he also hooked numerous other fish and had a few premature releases!
    We also had to rename the Bend Pool the Swimming Pool due to Chris falling in. TWICE
    It was a pleasure to fish with and meet Chris and I hope he will be back for more.
    All the best.
    Mike.

Default Re: Tongariro.

Hi Mike,

Glad to hear the fishing (and swimming) went well! I was wondering how you guys were doing and it sounds like a good time was had by all.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Default Re: Tongariro.

I think Chris (Gringo) may have found it a bit different to what he was used to, the Tongariro is fairly unique in needing long leaders and big heavy nymphs which when combined with a good breeze can be very interesting.
    We have some fast streams here, and some deep ones.... I have never EVER fished or even SEEN flies like a nymph tied on a shark hook and wrapped with so much lead BEHIND the TUNGSTEN and then fished WITH ANOTHER weighted dropper AND lead split shot AND an indicator that would make a comfy pillow all on god only knows how long leader and tippet AND YOU GUYS CAN CAST ALL THAT!!!!! I am impressed.

As for swimming - man you go over in that water and you freeze! I only survived because I was too shocked to breathe swim or drown - my wife still thinks I had a sex change while I was away! I'm wearing floaties next time!

It was a great trip - I have learned some new techniques, and can't wait to get back there and do A LOT BETTER NEXT TIME!!!!!!

"We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

+ Reply to Thread