+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beginner Question re: hook keepers

Default Beginner Question re: hook keepers

I'm in the process of building my first rod. It's kind of a cheapie - my dad got me a gift certificate to Cabela's so I'm building one of their Fish Eagle Rods. It actually seems pretty nice for the price - plus if I mess it up, I won't be too far in the hole... Anyway, I got all the guides placed last night and I'm ready to start wrapping.

My question is: I never use the hook keeper on any of my rods, is it okay to leave it off? And if I do, do I still need to wrap that area of the rod? Are there any benefits to having a hook keep, even if I don't use it?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Default Re: Beginner Question re: hook keepers

On a rod you build you can do anything you want to do!!!! That's one of the joys of rod building! If you leave it off, I think it looks nice to still wrap in front of the winding check. It looks, at least to me, a bit more finished. Have a ball!!! PICTURES!!!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I don't use the hook keeper myself, so if it's not a "restoration" I leave it off.
    I like a look that's clean and basic, so most often on my rods that space gets no wraps, no winding check, no writing
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

If you don't want one, leave it off. Wrap it if you like the look, otherwise, leave if off, too. Keepers are a personal preference item, and can be any way that you want it.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

A lot of rod builders do what is called a "Signature Wrap," where they create a bit of thread art. It doesn't have to be fancy, but it could be if you wanted it to be. I do a relatively simple one on all of the rods that I build. It's to the right of the signature line.

If you are not putting a hook keeper on the rod, this might be a good place to create a signature wrap. It can go anywhere on the blank that you choose.

I don't know if I would leave the winding check off. I use that to hide any imperfections in the cork that arise from fitting the cork to the blank. Often, the hole is irregular, and the winding check will hide that and give a more finished look to the cork. They are available in various materials and styles from the rod building suppliers, and some folks even turn them from wood for a different look. Here's one made from titanium on this Dan Craft 7'-0" 1wt I built.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Thanks for all the replies and info. I think I'm just going to leave it off - I kind of like the 'basic' look too!

Thanks again!

I don't use hook keepers with on exception> The keeper on my McFarland is canted to the side,maybe thirty degrees or so, instead of right on the bottom of the blank. It is easier to use that way. One of the reasons I don't use keepers is that I have to twist the rod to find the darned things. Building a rod sounds like fun. Maybe I will rebuild some old beast one day.
    Have fun.

I left the hook keeper off of one rod I built because I usually wrap the leader behind the reel foot and hook the fly to the stripper.
    I regret doing it....sometimes if you want a hook keeper you want a hook keeper.

+ Reply to Thread