+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Larva Lace for Dry Flies??

Blog Entries

Default Larva Lace for Dry Flies??

Does larva lace float on a dry fly (w/ floatant?) or does it make the fly sink due to its weight...

If thats not the case, does is help keep the fly a float because it doesn't absorb water?

I also wonder about the hollow laces, If they have air in them when you tie them on the fly, doesn't that mean they would float the fly like corks on the water?

Also do you know of any dries tied with them??

Thanks for responses.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Normand Guest

Default Re: Larva Lace for Dry Flies??

Quote Originally Posted by Flyandtie1
    I also wonder about the hollow laces, If they have air in them when you tie them on the fly, doesn't that mean they would float the fly like corks on the water?
    as you wrap larva lace under tension all of the trapped air would come out and the lace becomes flat. you could tie dries with the midge lace as that would be lighter but whatever trapped air would still come out..

find out more here: https://www.larvalace.com/LLOS.asp

experiment and post the results.

Run some nylon fibers through a small section of tubing (hollow Larva Lace) and put a small dab of super glue on the end to seal it. Spread and trim the fibers to look like a split tail on a mayfly. Tie the other end directly on top of the hook shank with the body and tails extending a little beyond the hook bend. Tie on a comparadun wing and dub in front and back of it. Whip finish and you have an extended-body mayfly with a Larva Lace body.

Normand Guest

or this

Chris;
    Somewhere there is an article (not here) about injecting oil into the hollow tubing to make the fly float. I only skimmed over the article as I could not see going to that much trouble to make a dry fly.
    One thing about the hollow tubing though, as you form the body you can back off on the tension to create a nicely tapered body.

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise
    Chris;
    Somewhere there is an article (not here) about injecting oil into the hollow tubing to make the fly float. I only skimmed over the article as I could not see going to that much trouble to make a dry fly.
    One thing about the hollow tubing though, as you form the body you can back off on the tension to create a nicely tapered body.
    the article was by david klausmeyer in an issue fly tyer magazine. i doubt oil injected into the tubing will make it float. ive tried it and have seen it done. it dont float.

I remember that article, but my impression was that the reason for injecting the oil was for the awesome colors it gave more than for flotation. I must not have read it very closely!

+ Reply to Thread