+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing 'when you can'.

Default Fishing 'when you can'.

Had a thought brought about by Ricks Quote for today.

How many of us try to fish when the fishing is 'good'. You know, we try to get to the lake in spring for bass, earlier for crappie, etc., when we 'know', based on past experiences, that the fish will be there and easier to catch?

How many of us make it a point to go fishing at least once a week or once a month? Like on a regular 'schedule'.

There is something to be said for going every Tuesday, or Saturday, or whatever, regardless of time of year or conditions.

We learn to fish well even when it's tough. We learn the waters we fish better, having seen them at both their best AND worse.

No right or wrong here, but how many of us take something like this into account when we decide how to approach our fishing hobby (habit)? I know that if we were bowlers, we'd do it at least once a week. Many poker players have a 'weekly friendly game'. Most sports hobbies require at least weekly activities during their 'seasons'. If you can afford the time (in todays world it's getting more and more difficult), do you 'set aside' a time to fish?

I know that I used to, but pressures of work and life have intervened and I don't get to go as often as I'd like (actually, I don't get to go hardly ever from September through May, but once I get to Colorado in the summer, I fish a LOT...so I really can't complain...).

Just curious.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Default Re: Fishing 'when you can'.

Fishing and Tying is Therapy I schedule time in my week to fish and tie! My wife would have me schedule time to exercise during the week but that is beside the point.

I am currently a full-time doctorate student with a part-time job. Fishing and tying is my break! No matter how much homework I have or what test is next, I go fish and tie for that is my way of relaxing, easing my mind, recuperating!

Yeah, the fishing can be good or bad. If it is bad or less than desired, it is still fishing! Bottom line, it is MY time to relax and "get away." Granted, the fish on the line is more effective therapy than cast after cast and no fish. Again, it is called fishing, not catching! Both are therapeutic.

The tackle is in my truck, the eyes are always peeled for a nice spot, and I am always ready to pullover. If I had to "fish when I can," I would go nuts!

Get out and fish, you will feel better!!!

Blog Entries

Buddy

There is not too much to add to that other than, I go when I can and disregard the reports. Otherwise I'd never get to go.

I go on saturdays......period!!!!!! It's gotta be sumthin pretty big to get me not to go.

I also, sometimes go on Sunday afternoons....and this week on Monday ( if no T-Storms) it's a Fed Holiday! and we're closed!

AND, if I get some extra time, Quail season opens Sat also....might have to try to get some of you some trying material!
    Carl

Every day above ground is a good day

Real soon now, I'm going to cut back to once a week. I know I can do it if I put my mind to it. Honest! Really!

(Is She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed still looking over my shoulder?)

I fish when and where I can. Seldom is it a planned thing, more of a , hey, I have a couple of hours, I'm going fishing. (You don't mind do you boss? All my stuff is done. . . .)

Same with tying. If I can 'sneak' off to the basement tying table for an hour without the kids niticing, I will do it! I will occasionally take them all down to the basement to 'clean' and I 'supervise' from my tying table. Then I usually can get some serious tying in.

With 4 young kids getting the time can be tough, but I tend to find some from time to time. . . .
    Don Rolfson

I, think, that I've posted this before when this topic once came up. But, since it's been asked again................
    "In order to keep my fly fishing and fly tying, down to a reasonable level and to keep piece with my pillow mate, I made a pledge a long time ago to.............. "Only fish on those days, whose name ended in the letter "Y". Same thing, with my fly tying...........I only will tie flies on those days, that again, end in the letter Y" and ONLY during daylight hours, OR, if it's dark outside.

This arrangement has seemed to work out extremely well so far, so see no need to change it now.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

8. Default Re: Fishing 'when you can'.

I havn't caught a fish for a week. Still I go when ever I can. My favorite rod is in it's case in the trunk of my car along with everything else I might need. Sometimes I can grab an hour after work, other times I may have a littel more time. Regardless of if I can catch something or not; I'm at the river two to three times a week, untill it all freezes over. Then it's back to ghost casting on the snow......

_Duane

This season is the first year I have made a commitment to fish at least once a week from April 1 until November 30 . For me that means usually either Friday or Saturday. Both if I can. Unless the weather or river conditions are unsafe I go. I have caught more fish, and learned more this season than I have since I started fly fishing a few years ago. What Buddy says is true. It has made me a better fisherman, and a much happier one.

We always take a week to fish for stripers around the new moon in June...
    For trout, certain area rivers are best fished when there's a specific hatch on.....
    Hendrickson's at one river, alderflies at another, sulfurs at still another, the tiny BWOs in the off season.
    Different rivers. Different times
    Gotta keep track of those.......
    I like to fish for pike in March before the spring floods......
    Area ponds are great for calicos (black crappie) soon after ice out......
    Monster bluegills are on the prowl at that pond on the other side of town prespawn....
    River smallies in the mid summer...
    Bluefish in the fall.....
    Yeah I fish when I can, but I got all this stuff floating around in the back of my head....

AAHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread