+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Missouri Trout Fisherman!

Default Missouri Trout Fisherman!

I see alot of posts about fish ins in the West and other places, would any of you guys like to organize a weekend when us Show-Me-State guys/gals and Kansas, Oklahoma, Midwesterners might get together and meet/fish/etc... I know that it may be hard to organize, but may be worth it. If we get a good response on this thread we can start to hammer out details. Hope we can work something out.
    Drew

------------------
    A bum-legged old man and a drunk. That's all you got?
    That's WHAT I got.
    "I don't drink anymore, I freeze it and eat it like a popsicle"

Sounds like fun! The State parks, granted are stocked, but the facilities facilitate (say that three times fast!) groups and fun, relaxed fishing...expecially if done during the week and not on weekends till after Labor day!

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Betty, would you prefer a state park, or maybe Branson with Taneycomo? Also Crane Creek is supposedly a very good place, I think Trout Unlimited always puts it on their top 100 fishing places. I have only been to Bennett and Meramac, I love Bennett, not impressed with Meramac. I have not been to Roaring River or Mauntauk, do you have impressions of these. Also sorry about ruining your post on the sound off board, to me it is just very interesting hearing others views and what drives them.
    Drew

------------------
    That's WHAT I got.

Actually, we're headed to Montauk for fishing this week. You're pretty tied to the park if you go there. Bennett Springs we love. Their facilities are wonderful, plenty of activities for fisher and non fisher. The store and dining area are super. There's a number of great fly shops close by. Lodging is good. The Niangua river is right at the end of the Park. Roaring River...my favorite. There's lodging there and in Cassville. Good eating in both places. Fewer fly shops. Beautiful scenery, great hiking, lots for fisher and non fisher. Crane creek is beautiful. It's suffered terribly from the drought these past few years. Harder to fish, fewer fish. Not too far from Roaring River to make it a day trip...little else as far as lodging or eats or other activities. As long as we've been in this area, we've never made it to Branson or Tanny. TO ME Branson is too commercial, and Tanny too big. But that's just me. If you like clean, relaxing family fun and fishing, you can't beat the parks.

------------------

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

When will you be at Mauntak? Branson has gotten too big, I remeber when it was much smaller and you could ride any ride at Silver Dollar City as many times as you wanted with minimal wait, ohhh the good old days.
    Drew

------------------
    That's WHAT I got.

Betty,

I've never been to Montauk SP or the Current River to fish, but why do you say you're so tied to the park? I was under the impression that the Current below Montauk was pretty excellent.

------------------
    Fishing the Ozarks

I vote for Roaring River also it is closer to Texas and a great place. Branson to large and crowded. IMHO

We leave for Montauk in the morning, and will be there all week.

What I meant by being tied to the Park is they have the camp ground, the "motel" and the dining room...there're few towns close by to stay in or to eat. The Current River is fantastic fishing!

------------------

Ah! You meant it's in the middle of nowhere. OK.

I don't think I'll ever fish Roaring River SP again. It's way too "parklike" for me. And it's less than an hour from here. I can live with Bennett Springs SP, but it's pretty parklike as well...but without stone/concrete banks to the stream like RR.

I would camp out if we did something like this anyway. So my vote would be Montauk SP and the Current River for several reasons:

1. I hear it's the most "natural" of the 3.
    2. I've never been there.
    3. You can get out of the park and fish the river.
    4. It's centrally located in MO.

------------------
    Fishing the Ozarks

I would be intersted in Roaring River State Park. CLoser to me or Montauk. With Roaring River you are only an hour from Branson, Taneycomo or just a few more miles from Eureka Springs Ark. Thursday thru Sunday would be good for us. If it isn't my Sunday to work.
    BillMc

+ Reply to Thread