+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Difficulties with the Irresistable

Default Difficulties with the Irresistable

The problem I have is with the deer hair body. The hair always seems to catch in the bend of the hook. If I trim the bundle short enough, not to catch, it seems to make a poor body. I tie it with two bunches. Also I seem to always end up spinning the tail(moose body hair) when spinning that first bunch as well. What techniques can anyone recommend? Thanks. I am tying these on size 10 and 12 hooks. I would hate to even try it any smaller.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Difficulties with the Irresistable

To prevent spinning do a couple of wraps around the hair above the hook then secure the bundle to the hook , this prevents it spinning.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

For reference here is a picture from Yager's flies. I am tying the western style with calf tail wing, and moose body hair tail. Thought it might be a good one on the rough and tumble freestoners around here.

Try stacking the hair instead of spinning it on the hook. That's how the deer hair bug tiers get the "spots" on their patterns. The hair stays where you put it on the hook . . .

Joe

And you will find (at least I do) that Coastal Deer Hair Spins much easier, and barbers (tapers) into a much better pattern !!!

I don't use the Irresistible, preferring to use the similar Rat Faced McDougal..

Then if some one asks me what fly I have on I can say;

"Why sir, I'm fishing a Rat Faced McDougal !"

Nuff said

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytyin ... 9fotw.html
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I also had problems tying with deer hair until I got Chris Helm's DVD "Spinning Deer Hair." It's 60 minutes long and the most valuable resource I have for tying with hair. You can order it directly from his catalog on page 8 on his website at:

http://www.whitetailflytieing.com/PDF/2007v1.8.pdf

While you're in his online catalog, go to page 13 for an explanation about various types of deer hair. It's very informative. You can also call Chris directly at his shop and he'll be happy to answer any questions you might have. Heck, you can even tell him that I sent you. I don't know if he'll give you any discount, but it might buy you a little more time with him on the phone. I've known Chris for several years.

Good Luck!

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

You know, I have a patch of comparadun hair, and I thought about it, but didn't try it. I also like the technique used for the Rat Face. He avoids having to spin the hair in that critical area. That's why Skip makes the big bucks. I learned about this fly from watching LeRoy Hyatt tie one on the PBS show. He had the same two problems tying his as I have on mine. Thanks everyone.

+ Reply to Thread