+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Storing fly lines

Default Storing fly lines

Hi all,

I did a search on the subject and came up empty. How do you folks store your fly lines off your reel? I've always been told not to store the line on the reel...to remove it if it won't be used for a while. I'm heading up to the Adirondacks early tomorrow a.m. for my last trip of the year. I'll be storing my equipment 'till ice-out in April. How do you store the fly line. I've heard things ranging from wrapping it around large coffee cans to using those large diameter spools the offshore trollers use to store their rigged lures. All ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

Ken
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

Normand Guest

Default Re: Storing fly lines

ive left fly lines stored on the reel with no adverse affect whatsoever. been doing it for 27 years.

I think storing it on nice big coffee cans or extension cord holders is the best idea to minimize coils but I just leave mine on the reels like Normand and always have with no issues.

I fish 12 months a year but the 2-3 weights and even some of the 4 weights definitely don't get much use during the winter. Those reels and their lines sit for a few months and reappear in the spring just fine.

Your mileage may vary...

If you don't want the coils next Spring then put them on anything large and round. A good idea might be to nail or screw the coffee cans onto a 2X4 or piece of plywood and hang it on the wall, then loosely coil your lines on them. Store your reel inside the can and everything is in one place next Spring.

Hey, that sounds like a pretty neat trick... Glad I thought of that!

Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

Deezel Guest

While it's true that lines stored around a large cylinder will have less coils, you have to remove each line, wrap it around the cylinder and put it back on the reel in the spring. More effort than I want to use especially when the line can be easily stretched out come spring. I just leave the lines on the reels. Oh IMPORTANT: Just make sure that the lines are clean, dry and the reels are in some type of container before putting them away for the off-season.

Deezel

I make sure mine are clean and dry and leave them on the reels. It doesn't take much to remove the "coils" in the spring...a couple of fish normally does the trick. I've done it for 26 years with no negative effect. Regards.
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

Blog Entries

Clean and dress
    Take off reel
    Put on spool that comes in Box line was bought in.....
    DONE!
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Flyandtie1
    Clean and dress
    Take off reel
    Put on spool that comes in Box line was bought in.....
    DONE!
    "Put on spool that comes in Box line was bought in....."...so is that diameter much better??????

Blog Entries

yes it's a larger circumference,,,Not by much, But enough for me.

They store 'em like that for long periods of time until some fly fisher comes and buys them,,,Sounds good to me.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

C'mon Chris, if you are going to go to that kind of trouble ...go for a diameter that matters....incidently ...think ...tension

+ Reply to Thread