+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: easy knot for 7x tippet

Default easy knot for 7x tippet

Need to know if there is a easier knot to tie on the fly than a clinch knot. I am finding that age and eyes or making it more difficult to tie on the small flies. Would appretiate any comments. walt

I use a Turle knot for all tippet to fly connections as it's easy to do and does not require good eyesight. Just have to watch for possible twisting of very fine tippet.

Al

Walt:

If you don't have a pair of Hat Eyes clipped to your hat brim you should. I've needed them for a few years now and knot tying down to any old X you want is a breeze. They are available in various powers and are way better, (IMHO), than Flip Focals.

Give 'em a try if you haven't already; they really help.

walt,

Any way you look at it, you have to put the tippet through the eye of the hook. Now you can do this on the river while fishing OR prepare some snelled flies ahead of time. This will allow you to make a good size loop into which you can knot your tippet.

Allan

The pitzen is pretty easy

Walt,
    What took you so long....?

IMHO the clinch knot is one of the easiest to tie for people of our vintage,.....but it is a piece of cxxx...

As said above we gotta go with magnification...

And we need to practice some better knots....I'm really working on the knot thing because for me at least it has probably caused more failures than anything...

The Pitzen [aka 16-20] suggestion is a good one....and there are others...the Davy knot gets great acclaim ...but so far I think there is a good and bad way to ty it....

------------------
    Respect Your Elders!

Try the Orvis knot.
    Go to Orvis.com and search for the knot.
    I have been using it and it is pretty easy for my old peepers.
    ~zm

I've been using the Davy Wotten knot for all of my fly to tippet connections for about 6 years now. I can't recall a single failure attributed to the knot. As with all knots, you need to lubricate it before tightening. And, if you don't tie it right, it pulls loose when tightened. Even though it's the easiest knot that I have found and trust in, I still need magnifiers. But, you know what "they" say..."Gettin old ain't for sissies".
    Give the Davy knot a try. You might be surprised.
    Tight lines,
    Bob

OK,...in "researching" this...knots that is.... it so far seems to me that we can't say..."this is THE knot"...there are many factors...chief of which may be [at least in my type of fishing]...marrying fluoro with mono...or just fluoro.... then there are differences in diameters...it goes on and on...matters if it is line to leader....leader to tippet....or tippet to fly...

------------------
    Respect Your Elders!

Try a reverse clinch - also known as the San Diego Jam Knot. You can make the loop at the top as big as you need to in order to see it. Also, more importantly I find it holds much better than a standard clinch.
    [url=http://www.marlinnut.com/knots/sandiego.shtml:e24db]http://www.marlinnut.com/knots/sandiego.shtml[/url:e24db]

e

+ Reply to Thread