+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Giant Trevally Leaders.........

Default Giant Trevally Leaders.........

I will be making my 1st trip to Christmas Island the beginning of next May.
    I have collected most of the gear that I think that I will need for Giant Trevally.
    A Sage Xi2, 1290-4, 12 weight lines in both floating and intermediate plus spares, and plenty of Trevally poppers.
    The part that I?m not sure of is the leaders. Not much is written about them. What length ?? Do you use a big game leader with a 20 Lb class section and then a shock tippet or just a straight tapered leader ???
    In either case what is the recommended Lb test of the shock tippet or leader point ????
    Hope someone with experience in this game will give me some pointers.
    Thanks,
    DickM.
    FFF Life Member #22

Default Re: Giant Trevally Leaders.........

DickM,

Wow, that will be some trip!

I?ve never fished for them, hopefully others who have will chime in. I can only tell you what I?ve heard from others who have fished for them at xmas and the Seychelles. They?ve used 9? leaders, 20lb tippet and 60-80 lb shock (Seaguar fluoro or Mason hard mono), or wire (they have teeth). From what they?ve said, you can fish for them two ways, on the flats, or over a hump in deeper water off a reef in a boat. They use a 60-80 lb fluoro or mono shock on the flats, and in deeper water from a boat use either 80 or wire (since you never know what else is around). Fish in deep water are chummed or teased with a hookless plug to the surface, then thrown to with poppers.

Seeing a popper get slammed has got to be a thrill, but I?d take some bigger stuff too for GT in addition to poppers, like Deceivers and some heavily weighted clousers or half and halfs for deep water in the event you decide to do the boat thing off a reef, so you can fish different depths. If you?re going through an outfitter, they can give you a better idea of what to bring as far as flies, gear and rigging for bones, GT?s.and whatever else will be around. I imagine your options will be very limited as far as replacement gear, so plan on bringing a lot of flies, extra backing, lines, tippet, shock and other gear you think you might need.

As you know, GTs especially over 30, are tough, tough fish. Have heard lot?s of stories about people getting spooled, cut off fly lines (sharp coral), blown up tackle, and just blazing, unstoppable fish, so I?m looking forward to your report..

BTW, at xmas they also have a few other types of trevally that don?t get as big, but can be a blast to throw at with your bonefish set up. If you were targeting them, or smaller GT, say under 15lbs with a 9 or 10wt, you could probably get away with a 40 lb shock.

Sounds like you?ll have a blast. Good luck, hope to see lots of pics.

peregrines

peregrines...........
    I just got a hold of some SA Tarpon\Billfish leaders on eBay that I think may fit the bill.
    They are 31" long fluorocarbon with a class section of 20 Lbs and a shock tippet of 80 Lbs.
    From what I have heard, GT?s are not leader shy but require a fast moving popper to excite them into a bite.
    I?ll let you know.
    DickM.
    FFF Life Member #22

The latest fish and fly magazine has a good article on them. Buy it. According to the article, size 4/0 gurglers work better than poppers. I just checked the article, they used tarpon style leaders with 80-100 lb. shock tippet. After reading that article I want to go there before I die, some year.

jkilroy

Thanks jkilroy......
    I will look for the magazine.
    I have a dozen poppers so far in different colors and tailing.
    I think that anything that make a big commotion on the surface is the key.
    Gurglers are a great fly but I?m not sure that they would preform any better than a popper.
    Hope you make it there someday.
    This is my 1st trip to Christmas Island. I have been to Belize 7 times but this will be a new adventure.
    I?m dying to try out my new 12 weight outfit on a Trevally.
    FFF Life Member #22

+ Reply to Thread