+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What book is on your night stand right now?

Default Re: What book is on your night stand right now?

Yesterday I added my two cents worth to this thread. My fishing library is often comfort and entertainment to me, I get lost in a good book.

This morning, Thanksgiving Day morning, I went back and read the entire thread, and nowhere do I find any mention of Roderick Haig-Brown. Am I the only one who reads that Grand Master? Doubtful. I have a small collection of his books, about half a dozen, I even have one of the novels he wrote that is autographed by him. Here is a philosopher, a how to do it, where to do it, why do we do it kind of writer. He has done monumental works and entertaining novels. How any writer could create an entire book of good size, out of the life of a fish is amazing to me. Yet " Return to the River " is just that, and a good read, too.

Also, no mention of Robert Traver, aka John Voelker. He must be one of America's finest humorists. He didn't write a lot of books, but what he did are just plain good. Try " Trout Magic " for starters.

And for humor, don't forget Patrick McManus and his books. Start with " The Grasshopper Trap ".

Jim Johnson
    Doublehauler
    Bigfork, Montana

Doublehauler:
    You're 100% right on, with the suggestions! But since the post asked, basically, "What are you reading at the moment?", that's where most of the answers come from!?!
    I, too, love Brown and finished "Measure Of The Year" a few books back. Also "Return To The River", another classic of his, before that.
    Currently, McManus is being discussed on another thread. I also have Trout Magic and Trout Madness, by Traver. To me, in much of his writing, he was funnier, in many ways, than McManus. Hard to believe that he really became famous by writing a murder mystery, which set off his career as a famous author!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just finished: Fishing Small Streams with a Fly Rod by Charles Meck

Now Reading: A River Never Sleeps by Roderick Haig-Brown

Next Up: Pennsylvania Trout Streams and Their Hatches by Charles Meck
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

On my night stand right now is Atlantic Surf Fishing, because I'm still in the middle of my fall surf fishing passion. But soon it will be cold and I will switch over to fly tying and dreaming of trout. That's when the Bergman comes out. Also, earlier this year I got a copy of Trout Fishing in the Catskills by Ed Van Put. It's a big, big book, and I will start taking bites out of that one soon.

Deezel Guest

Fly-Fishing Heresies, by Wright

Deezel

River Journal Au Sable by Bob Linsenman ( in preperation for the Michigan Fish In 2008 ) yes I know it's like 7 months away but hey I guy has to be ready.
    Remember we all live down stream

The Earth is Enough by Harry Middleton

Fly Fishing Through my Midlife Crisis by Howell Raines

Any of William Tappley's mysteries.

All fireside reading.
    "You must not be too greedy in catching your said game (fish), as in taking too much at one time...That could easily be the occasion of destroying your own sport and other men's also." Juliana Berners (1450)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scubatim
    River Journal Au Sable by Bob Linsenman ( in preperation for the Michigan Fish In 2008 ) yes I know it's like 7 months away but hey I guy has to be ready.
    Tim, get a copy of "Seasons on the Au Sable" by Rusty Gates. That's another good read and very worthwhile. He also slides a few, good patterns into the text.

Ed, still a fan of the parachute patriot

I'll second the Rusty Gates book. IT's a real good read before heading over to that area. If I'm there for a while I have it with me so I can keep referring to it. It's one thing to read it at home...but it's another to read it while you are there and can SEE and feel the area.

Also start reading his fishing reports when he comes back in the spring.

Right now I'm reading The Nature of Fly Casting by Jason Borger. I'm trying to teach myself to be a better casting instructor and make improvements on my own casting. I like how he breaks it all down into modules.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Now it's Flyfisher's Guide To Michigan by Jim Bedford but I am going to order Rusty"s book soon.
    Remember we all live down stream

+ Reply to Thread