+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What book is on your night stand right now?

1. Default What book is on your night stand right now?

Looking for some recommendations for good fly fishing/fishing history reading. Anyone recommend anything that's been published recently? Just finished Joe Cornwall's Fly Fishing Warm Water Rivers, which I really liked, and Dr. Larson's incredible History of the Fish Hook in America. Now I'm out of new books.

So what do you recommend? And if you post, let me know where I can get it!

Tight lines,

Deke

Blog Entries

Default Re: What book is on your night stand right now?

Fly Fishing the Solitude?Montana by Trapper Badovinac, published in 2006 by Riverbend Publishing. ISBN 1-931832-67-6. This book is filled with great stories about the rivers of Montana, fantastic pictures and some good fly pattern photos and recipes. When you are done with it on the nightstand, place it out on the coffee table for your fly fishing friends.

Larry
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

The Sunfishes (A Fly Fishing Journey of Discovery) by Jack Ellis. Published by Abenaki Publishers, Inc. Any bookstore should be able to get it or order it for you. You could also probably find it online.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Blog Entries

If you are looking for a truly historic look at fly fishing and camping in the wilds of the state of New York and cruising the shores of the east coast, there is a great book I would suggest.

?The Owl Creek Letters and Other Correspondence? was published by Baker & Scribner in New York. This is a collection of letters written by W. C. Prime or William Cowper back in 1847 and 1848. The printer was S.W. Benedict of NY.

Alibris Books has a copy available, you can find them at:
    http://www.alibris.com

Just type in the full title of the book and it will pop up for you. In fact, it looks like the books they offer are reprints of the original book. My copy was printed in 1848 and originally purchased by Henry F. Handy on July 3, 1849. Obviously the newly printed books remove the problem of reading a book that is almost 160 years old.

The author?s real name is William Cowper Prime. In the original book he was simply listed as W. Mr. Handy had written in C. Prime after the W. Now I see that the reprinted book Alibris is selling is calling him William Cowper.

Enjoy the read, I know I did.

Larry
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

5. Default Re: What book is on your night stand right now?

Sweet! Just ordered Fly Fishing the Solitude from Amazon, good price on it too. Will see if The Sunfishes (A Fly Fishing Journey of Discovery) is available from one of the local fly shops, I like to give them business if I can.

Also looking into buying Owl Creek Letters, Amazon shows a brand new printing of it (2007). Does anyone know if this is the full text from the original edition, or a condensed version?

I am gung ho for fishing history, was blown away by the history of the barbless hook chapter in the fish hook history book.

Anyone interested in doing an "on-line" book club? We could choose a book, get as many people as possible to read it, and then discuss in a thread here...

What a neat place this is...

Tight Lines,

Deke

Dekezucker,
    I would would recommend "At the Rivers Edge" by Jerry Kustich, formerly a bamboo rod builder for Winston Rod Co. now with his new company Sweet Grass.
    From his publishers web site regarding "At The Rivers Edge": "Three decades ago the author embarked upon a journey that would lead to a lifetime of fishing. Along the way he found so much more. These fly fishing stories are different. With a touch of heart, soul, and humor, they may even change the way you look at the sport."
    He and his brother Rick have authored several books, but this one is the only one I've read and can recommend.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by dixieangler
    The Sunfishes (A Fly Fishing Journey of Discovery) by Jack Ellis.
    Great book -- highly recommended for any bluegill fan.

I'm reading
    Catskill Rivers, Birthplace of American Fly Fishing
    by Austin M. Francis
    very interesting
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Tom (and all),

A Wisp in the Wind is Jerry Kustich's second, and very good,

I'd also recommend Bill Harms and Tom Whittle's new book Split and Glued by Vince Marinaro.

Kat

I'm rereading a favorite, A Handbook of North Country Trout Flies by Roger Fogg, there are a few copies available at http://www.abebooks.com. Also, Modern Trout Fly Dressing by Roger Woolley (the 1939 edition) is a great read and a treasure trove of historical information, is also available at Abe Books.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

+ Reply to Thread