+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Florida Fish-In 2008 Planning Ideas

Default Florida Fish-In 2008 Planning Ideas

The southwest gulf coast pirates are going to get together in a couple of weeks to discuss the 5 W's of an event next year. Initial possibility is the Pine Island/Matlacha area for kayak fishing. A little farther south & mostly backcountry mangrove lined creeks & flats. Soliciting your fly fishing requests & suggestions for more saltwater fun next year before we get together to decide the fates of the waters to be plundered by the wanna-be-pirates & pirates alike !

Default Re: Florida Fish-In 2008 Planning Ideas

Preferably water teaming with fish eager to eat, so you guys can catch some fish too...lol. I'm open to anywhere, but I did have a fantastic time around Venice, and also the place that Gil took me.

Just let me know when and where, and I'll do my best to be there.

Thunderthumbs.

The Pine Island grass flats are usually fish havens in the winter & there's plenty of lee sides out of the winds; it just takes an hour to get to any gulf beach by car; unless you're in a boat - kayaks aren't outboard propelled so it's still an about hours paddle

So...have you guys had the meeting of the minds yet. I'm getting pretty anxious to start planning my trip. Can't wait to see all of you.

TT.

We were going to get together sometime before Monday, but one went to see family, another had family in for the holidays, the fly fhop has to be open during daytime & I've been doing the "Driving Ms Daisy" sequel again as 2 fractures in 2 different bones just occured after some chocolate chip cookies were baked. On top of that another water leak in the plumbing that hasn't been found. The leak detectors dug up the floor in 2 different places & were going to dig a third, but for a company that says they're 100% sure before digging they weren't too good. Played concrete hole patch man today. Have been getting some literary reference materials with maps & talking with some guides for directions by land & yak. Also the fishing tourny director has given a link to all the events that will be on the calendar for the pros circuit next year, as most of the dates are usually set before the end of November so there's no conflict with the kayak slam tourny or any of the redfish or flatsmaster tours. Keep exercising those thumbs of thunder for another snook-o-rama!

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

And what was supposed to be a meeting tomorrow (Sunday) has been cancelled because I have come down with my first cold of the year. Great timing huh!?? Started Wednesday, grew progressively worse up to and including tonight as I now have a slight fever.

At least one person happy with this. Lost my voice today ... wife is elated.
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

Good one Gil, I can't imagine the elation lasting too long, you're such a great guy...

Dave, they say, when it rains it pours, keep the faith my friend.

Other than that, just keep me informed. I'll be bringing my old neighbor from Michigan with me, so a snook-a-rama will be good!

TT.

It just about stopped pouring. The air conditioner was leaking & thought the coils froze up. Took it apart twice in 3 days! Had the round the corner neighborhood AC man come look it over & found what was left of a tree frog or a toad that had been blocking the drain the second time. Have AC again ! The FPL ( Florida Power & Light ) on-call box burned up last Saturday & thought that's why the AC & the hot water heater had both gone bad. Had the back yard electrician come & disconnect it. Seems, even in an emergency, that FPL's earliest time to get here was 3 weeks, even though it has their logo on it & they installed it. Have hot water again ! Just got done drywall repairs from where holes were cut in the walls to hook up the new plumbing. Mudded twice, knockdown texture in a can & Kilz 2 primed for painting tomorrow. Might actually get the house back together in another week. Gil has about a month straight of work without a day off, so doubt we'll get together for a while; but we are getting info & talking with some knowledgeable persons with the fish-a-holic belief that there's not much water that isn't fishable 'round here come spring !

Ahhhhhhh, music to my ears!!!

TT

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

Saltydave's right. I work for the Post Office as a few of you may know. My next day off will be Christmas day. As Dave mentioned though, we're doing as much as we can through the www. Have quite a few acquaintances in the area previously mentioned (Matlacha). Come to find out though, the wading is great but only if you have a boat/canoe/kayak to get you there. We're weighing options though.

We picked Matlacha/Pine Island because there was an interest expressed by some of the FAOLers at the last Fish-In about that area. However, we need wade fishing for those non-kayakers/boaters/etc. Worse comes to worse, we could always fish the area/s we've been fishing the past two years.

We'll come up with something. It was just that there were too many reasons that kept the pirates from getting together earlier ... now December is on us already.
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

+ Reply to Thread